Position previews: Quarterback

IU v. Navy

Nate Sudfeld still hasn’t completed a full season as a starting quarterback.

In 2015, he’ll hope to change that.

The rising seniors’ health was a hot topic when he was made available to reporters on the Hoosiers’ opening day of spring practice.

Sudfeld said he felt strong after recovering from a separated left, non-throwing shoulder. He wasn’t limited in throwing. He took snaps with ease and had a bit of touch on his throws.

And most importantly, he didn’t suffer discomfort.

Sudfeld’s progression through the spring is going to be a key for IU. Last year’s quarterback struggles were well noted with injuries piling on top of transfers and some younger players forced to play a bit earlier than ?anticipated.

One of those players was sophomore Zander Diamont. He’s the second half of just two scholarship quarterbacks on IU’s roster this spring. He’ll be joined by a third scholarship pass thrower when 2015 three-star quarterback Austin King joins IU this fall and a fourth in redshirt freshman Danny Cameron.

Diamont was working mostly with the second-team players in practice. In six games last season, he was 64-of-132 for 515 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions.

For comparison, in the just under six games Sudfeld was healthy, he completed 101-of-167 of his passes for 1,151 yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions in what was largely considered a slow start.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson said previously in an ideal world, Diamont would have redshirted last season to preserve his four full seasons of eligibility. That’s why now-linebacker Chris Covington saw time at quarterback last year before suffering a ?torn ACL.

Sudfeld’s health could go a long way in determining if Diamont and King get redshirts in 2015. That appears to be ideal, giving Wilson options at quarterback down the road in 2016 once Sudfeld has used up his remaining eligibility.

But that’s next year. This spring is a chance for Sudfeld to get acquainted with a young group of receivers he only got limited time with before suffering his injury.

Sudfeld said that even before he could begin throwing again, he was working with younger guys on film. Spring practice will give them a chance to put it into action.

Sudfeld’s injury last season was IU’s worst-case scenario. He’s back now. And spring is just the beginning.