letters

Governor Pence's real agenda

The 2015 session of the Indiana General Assembly is underway. The question on many Hoosier minds is what the Republican supermajorities and Gov. Mike Pence will accomplish in the ?coming months.

Pence’s 2015 education agenda is nothing more than conservative talking points to boost his 2016 presidential campaign.

Increasing funding for school vouchers, stripping another elected official of power and driving our state toward the corporatization of education only appeals to his out-of-touch base, while choices in public schools dwindle due to actions by statehouse ?Republicans.

What’s more, the governor passed on giving thousands of Hoosier children access to early childhood education.

The governor says he is focused on education, but a recently proposed bill would allow him to run for governor and president in 2016 — which is currently against state law.

Will the governor continue to put his ambitions before the needs of Hoosiers by signing this bill into law if his Republican majorities pass it?

Or will we finally see an end to the culture of corruption and ?cronyism at the statehouse that led to repeated news stories about ?ethics and mismanagement throughout 2014?

One thing is clear: Pence has some questions to ?answer as this legislative session begins.

What remains unclear is whether he’s more focused on the White House than the statehouse.