politics

Bills to watch: diplomas and deer

House Bill 1213: Career and technical education diploma

This bill is the first step to create a set of statewide requirements for a technical skills-focused high school diploma.

Rather than identify specific requirements, the bill provides for the creation of a committee to conduct research and make recommendations to the Indiana State Board of Education. That process would involve teachers and policy experts with technical skills backgrounds in education, as well as representatives of community colleges.

Based on a requirement that math and English teachers be consulted as part of the process, it seems the program could include traditional academic coursework.

The bill sets out a Nov. 1 deadline for creating the requirements for the diploma, which would also fulfill the requirements of existing high school programs in the state.

Author Rep. Wendy McNamara, R-Mount Vernon

Status HB 1213 will be heard by the Senate Education and Career Development Committee on Wednesday. It passed the House of Representatives unanimously Feb. 3.

Senate Bill 4: Wild animals on airport runways

Deer would be wise to steer clear of airports if Senate Bill 4 passes.

The legislation would allow public airport managers or their designees to chase or kill animals on the runway, even if they do not have a hunting license.

It also requires that related data be reported to the Department of Natural Resources each year. The penalty for not reporting, though, is for whoever is responsible for chasing and killing wild runway animals go through the process to obtain a hunting license in the state.

Though there will be no fiscal affect from this bill, according to the General Assembly’s Office of Fiscal and Management Analysis, it will affect all 118 public use airports in the state.

Authors Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, and Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn

Status SB 4 had its first reading by the House Natural Resources Committee on Monday. It passed the Senate unanimously Jan. 27.