education

FMCCS grant opportunities supplement school funding

The spring grant cycle for the Foundation of Monroe County Community Schools is now open.

Faculty in the Monroe County Community School Corporation can apply for grants to supplement their students’ education.

Cyrilla Helm, executive director of the Foundation, said the organization has been giving out grants since 1976. This year, the Foundation will give away $50,000 in grants.

Faculty from preschool to the high school level can apply for the grants. In past years, schools have requested funding for science lab equipment and gym equipment such as soccer balls and nets.

Helm said they receive many requests for classrooms teaching students with disabilities, including exercise balls for students to sit on while doing work.

The Foundation raises its money through private funding, such as donations and fundraisers.

Helm said the Foundation aims to fill a funding need for schools.

Helm said many of the grants are based on increasing literacy opportunities for students.

In the past, the Foundation has raised money for new books and funded trips to live productions of the stories students are reading in class.

Some schools need equipment such as CPR dummies, Helm said, or equipment to play games like sharbade, a hockey game played on scooters in which kids lie on their stomachs and use their upper body to move around.

“They have a lot of fun with that,” she said.

Helm said these grants are important because education is a tool that will stay with students the rest of their lives and helps build self-esteem and confidence.

“Education is something you can never take away from a kid,” she said.

Applications for multi-classroom, school and system grants, ranging from $1,000-$5,000, will be accepted until 5 p.m. Feb. 3.

Applications for classroom and small project grants ranging from $250-$1,000 will be accepted until all funds are depleted.

Those interested can apply at mccsfoundation.org.