Grunwald to feature Berlin artist lectures, discussion

CAROUSELentGrunwald

Grunwald Gallery of Art is welcoming five Berlin artists who have their artwork displayed in the Geist und Form exhibit to give lectures today through Friday.

Geist und Form opened in Grunwald Aug. 30 and will remain on display until Oct. 11.

The collection showcases the various painting styles in present-day Berlin and is part of the Themester 2013: Connectedness: Networks in a Complex World initiative.

The first lecture will be delivered by Valerie Favre at 6 p.m. today in Fine Arts 102.

Michael Markwick will speak at 6 p.m. Sept. 19 in Chemistry 122, and Mark Lammert will give the final lecture at 5 p.m. Sept. 20 in Geology 126.

The program will conclude with a panel discussion with artists Favre, Lammert, Markwick, Adriana Molder and Jorge Queiroz at 7 p.m. Sept. 20 in Grunwald Gallery. Curator Jurriaan Benschop, a Dutch writer and art critic, will moderate.

Though 10 artists have their work displayed in the exhibit in the gallery, only five will be able to speak. However, Betsy Stirratt, director of Grunwald Gallery, said the five artists represent a good range of approaches to painting.

The artists will have the chance to talk about these approaches during their lectures.

“You’ll hear the evolution of someone’s work from the beginning to the current painting that is being exhibited,” she said. “You might see the transition through different kinds of work, through their approaches, their influences, and even what motivated them to be a painter.”

During the panel Friday, Benschop will have the chance to ask the artists questions and conduct an open discussion.

“We’ll talk about the process of the artists’ work, and it’s a chance for them to explain something about how they make the work,” Benschop said. “We’ll also talk about the relation with Berlin and what the city has to offer them being an artist in this time.”

Benschop said he’s excited to welcome the artists, not only because of their work, but also because of how far they traveled to come to Bloomington. Though only one artist was actually born in Berlin, all are traveling from the art-centric city.

“It’s a great opportunity to see the work and to meet the artists in person,” Benschop said. “If you hear artists speaking about their work, it always adds something to your understanding.”

Follow reporter Amanda Arnold on Twitter @Amanda_Arnold14.