national

Stupid knows no bounds

Foot in mouth

Many people will debate the existence of stupid
questions.

I happen to agree with fellow columnist Tanner Gragg that they definitely do exist.

When it comes to stupid comments, though, there is absolutely no debate.

For example, I’m sure I’m not the only guy who has been with a friend at a bar talking to a couple girls, and all of a sudden your friend drunkenly says something absurd.

In my case, a friend told a nice young lady, “You would be way hotter if you had bigger boobs.” The girls instantly walked away. 

Stupid comments like that immediately make me think, “We can’t be friends anymore.”

U.S. Rep. Todd Akin, R-Mo., has managed to make a stupid comment of even more epic proportions with his legitimate rape comment. 

After reading Akin’s quote, “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” I thought, “The hell did I just read?”

That thought was followed by a two-handed face-palm.

Unfortunately for me, I identify with Akin’s party.

Republicans and conservatives must deal with the repercussions of his idiocy.

I believe many of us have been left thinking, “We can’t be friends anymore.”

In reality, this is what the Republican Party has done by revoking any backing for Akin and asking him to stop his campaign.

The backlash to Akin’s comments would not be as severe if it weren’t for his refusal to drop out of the Missouri Senate race. 

I’ll admit, I’ve said my fair share of stupid comments.

However, I also would like to think when I do, I admit I’ve made a giant mistake.

Akin is refusing to do so, claiming instead that his comments were misinterpreted. He will not admit that he was wrong.

When thinking of Akin’s comments on a larger scale, comments like this seem to be a reoccurring theme for Republicans. 

Off the top of my head, and I mean this without any Internet research at all, I can’t think of a comment by a Democrat that made me react by thinking, “You damned idiot.”

For some reason, Republicans have a special ability to put their foot in their mouth in the worst way possible.

Akin’s remarks are just the latest addition to countless gaffes by party members.

Regardless of party affiliation, political ideologies or your stance about abortion, Akin has blown everyone away with his Watson and Crick level of biological knowledge.

So, congratulations, Akin.

You have officially put in your submission to the Stupidest Comments of 2012 competition.

­— wfgryna@indiana.edu