Hotfox to play SXSW concert

Hotfox

Members of local indie-rock band Hotfox said they love the “swag” outdoor sporting gear company Jansport recently sent them — backpacks, duffle bags and more.

But the opportunity to play at South by Southwest, the annual music, film and interactive conference in Austin, Texas, is their favorite gift.

“I’ve been in Austin a lot, but I’ve never been to South by Southwest,” sophomore, bassist and Texas native Marcus Tedesco said. “I never got to be a part of it. I’m pretty pumped. I’m really excited.”

Hotfox was recently announced as the winner of the Sonicbids-Jansport Battle of the Bands contest. After submitting the song “Mountain Tiger,” receiving support through rounds of voting online and waiting for judging by a panel, the band was chosen for an all-expense-paid trip to Austin and the opportunity to play in the Jansport Showcase.

The SXSW festival takes place at the Austin Convention Center, begins March 9, includes various music showcases and an interactive festival where businesses and technology companies converge. The festival continues through March 18.

Singer, guitarist and sophomore Oliver Hopkins said the competition had been on the band’s radar since 2010, when local band the Broderick won.

“We went to a show, saw them play, and they were awesome,” Hopkins said. “We got to know about them and learned about the competition. It came around again this year, and we said, ‘Yeah, let’s try it.’ Submitted, and here we are.”

Hopkins, a Jacobs School student, said the group has continued to play before spring break, including a send-off show March 11 at the Bishop.

“If we can do OK at that show, then hopefully we’ll play well,” Hopkins said jokingly. “We’ll play the songs, get them under our fingers a bit more. If you do anything else, you’re just gonna spook yourself about going down to South by Southwest. No one likes those nerves.”

Tedesco said he agreed.

“I’d like to think of it as just another show, just somewhere really cool and hot,” he said.

Along with the performance in the Jansport Showcase, the group will perform at a house show in San Antonio, Tedesco said.

“We’re trying to play the shows we can, take advantage of all the shit that goes around in Texas,” Hopkins said. “It’s like a hot bed for music.”

Hotfox, which formed in Indianapolis, where Hopkins and sophomore guitarist Duncan Kissinger met in high school, released the album “You, Me, and the Monster,” in 2010. The group has played with nationally known bands, such as Margot & the Nuclear So & So’s.

The group is poised to release a new album this year but has yet to determine a date or album title. For now, the group members said they are enjoying the music scene in Bloomington — primarily playing in basements.

“If there were money in house parties, we’d tour just the world playing in basements,” Kissinger said.