The need to know and our obligation

Lauren Spierer Illustration

Today marks the 111th day since Lauren Spierer went missing.

More than 150,000 flyers have been distributed and more than 5,000 people have participated in searches, and still, there is no answer for the question: Where is Lauren Spierer? 

The deafening silence in this investigation has inspired today’s “Shine 4 Lauren” concert, which will symbolically focus light on information that remains unknown.

With the four-month anniversary of Lauren Spierer’s disappearance quickly approaching, the missing student’s parents, Robert and Charlene Spierer, have voiced doubt about the statements made by persons of interest and the theories presented thus far.

One of the most serious discrepancies arose on July 24 when a source told Journal News in Westchester, N.Y., that Lauren Spierer appeared incapacitated while at Smallwood Plaza, allegedly stumbling out of the elevator and resting on the wall for support. The source said Lauren Spierer was then gathered under the arm of a male companion and assisted out of the building.

Yet Carl Salzmann, a lawyer for person of interest Corey Rossman, provided a conflicting account: Lauren Spierer was helping his client walk home after he was punched in the head and allegedly suffered memory loss.

“It’s very convenient to have memory loss in connection with an event like this,” Robert Spierer said.

As the days pass, Robert and Charlene Spierer are growing more and more concerned that theories are being confused with facts.

Lauren Spierer’s parents have also questioned the authenticity of the statement, given their daughter’s size. They said they believe that at 90 pounds and 4’11”, she could not have had the physical strength to carry a man much bigger than herself.

Salzmann essentially opened the door to skeptics and nonbelievers when he later changed his statement to say Spierer and Rossman “helped each other” home that night.

“We don’t believe the story. Clear and simple, we don’t believe it,” Charlene Spierer said.    

The Spierers have worked closely with the IU Hillel Center since the initiation of the search and as a Hillel board member, it was brought to my attention that certain
statements should be questioned.

After speaking with the Spierers, I don’t believe some of these theories, either.  
I don’t believe that Lauren decided to walk home alone at 4:30 a.m. when she didn’t have her phone, keys or shoes.  How was she supposed to get inside her apartment?

It’s 111 days later, and the story still doesn’t add up. 

It is evident that someone is not offering the full truth, and it is clear that one or more persons must come forward.

As fellow members of the IU community, it is our responsibility as peers, friends and neighbors of Lauren Spierer to speak up about the details missing from this case.

The watchword of the Department of Homeland Security is, “If You See Something, Say Something.” Similarly, the Spierers have said “anything small could be big.”

If you overhear something at a party or in class, say something.

If you know someone involved is acting suspiciously, say something.

This investigation simply cannot progress with these limited and cramped facts and testimonies. We must aid law enforcement so they can do their job.

“We can’t rule out anything,” Charlene Spierer said. “That’s the most frustrating thing: There has been nothing ruled out because we don’t have enough information.”

Ultimately, it is not only a question of responsibility; it is also a question of moral
conscience.

As for those who know something, I hope tonight’s concert will inspire you to come forward with the information. Do not allow this search to continue for another 111 days. If not for Lauren, then do it because it is the right thing to do.

Anyone with information on Lauren Spierer’s disappearance can contact the Bloomington Police Department at 812-339-4477 or send an email to helpfindlauren@gmail.com. Anonymous tips can be left at 1-800-274-6388 or P.O. Box 1226, Bloomington, Ind., 47402-1226.