Vote No on Property Tax Cap Referendum

The most important decision voters will make this election does not involve any candidates.

It comes at the end of the ballot, and the language is somewhat complex.

The choice facing voters, however, is simple. The IDS Editorial Board robustly encourages you to vote “no” on Public Question # 1.

If approved, the public question will amend the Indiana State Constitution by capping property taxes. At first, that may not seem to be such an awful thing. After all, no one relishes paying property taxes. High taxes on homes may have seriously averse consequences, such as forcing the retired to move from the place they have lived their entire lives.

A constitutional amendment, however, is not a real solution. Property taxes currently fund essential services such as public libraries, schools and parks. Constitutionally capping taxes will restrict the money available to support these institutions.

State law has already capped property taxes. If voters incorporate the caps into the state constitution, it will be significantly more difficult to remove them when Hoosiers inevitably realize their adverse effects on the quality of essential services.

Property taxes may have problematic elements. But we should search for answers that do not involve blanket caps, and we should certainly reject this inappropriate attempt to amend the state constitution.

Staff Vote:
Yes (4 votes)
No (9 votes)