Column: Despite great effort, Hoosiers 1 play short against Michigan

Denard Robinson dropped back in the pocket and was pressured by IU defensive lineman Larry Black Jr. The Michigan quarterback got rid of the ball a split second before he was devoured by the 326-pound Black, letting go of a deep, high throw down the right sideline.

Michigan wide receiver Junior Hemingway, covered by cornerback Richard Council on the play, came back for the ball and leapt in front of the IU defensive back. Hemingway brought the ball down at the 4-yard line, setting up Robinson’s game-winning touchdown run on the ensuing play.

One play decided a game that featured 77 points and 1,142 yards of offense. One play changed the entire complexion of the Hoosiers’ season. One play showed how far the IU football program has come, and yet how far it still has to go.

Robinson is a Heisman Trophy candidate who made a Heisman Trophy play. Sometimes there truly is no defense for good offense, no matter what kind of effort the
defense gives.

The Hoosiers (3-1, 0-1) played a gutsy football game. They made defensive adjustments after a rough start. They converted on two big fourth-down plays late in the fourth quarter to keep the game alive. They left everything they had (excuse the cliche) on the turf inside Memorial Stadium.

But like the Hoosiers did so many times last season, they came up one play short in the end.

Haven’t you read this tale before?

“I’m really disappointed for our kids,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “I thought they had great effort and kept battling the whole time. Big plays, on their part, won out.”

When Robinson ran 72 yards for a touchdown on his first carry of the game, it looked as if No. 19 Michigan was going to run the Hoosiers out of their own stadium. To their credit, the Hoosiers didn’t quit.

Yes, the Wolverines (5-0, 1-0) put up huge offensive numbers, but the IU defense adjusted in the second half and kept the team in the game when the offense stalled on a couple of drives.

The only thing the Hoosiers are going to look back on and cringe at was Chappell’s second-quarter interception in the end zone. IU receiver Tandon Doss (who had a career game, by the way) appeared to be open for the touchdown, but Chappell threw late.

A score on that possession would have given IU the lead again. A score on that possession would have knocked the Wolverines on their heels, and it would have given the Hoosiers their best chance to win the game.

Again, though, one play away.

“You can’t turn the ball over in the red zone, and you really can’t turn it over at all,” Chappell said. “I tried to force it in there, and it was a terrible throw, too.”

As painful a loss as this was for IU, it taught us a great deal about the Hoosiers.

For one, this receiving corps isn’t only talented, it’s fearless. Doss and tight end Ted Bolser each took a jaw-clenching blow over the middle, and each held on for a big catch.

These guys played to win the football game, which should be encouraging to IU fans.
Chappell put up machine-like numbers against a Big Ten defense (even if it looks like the Western Kentucky defense).

Running back Darius Willis was a big part of the offense again.

Lynch took chances in situations where he doesn’t normally take chances.

This program is improving. On Saturday, however, it came up one play short.

The Hoosiers made play after play. Robinson made one more.

He’s a Heisman Trophy candidate for a reason.

E-mail: jmalbers@indiana.edu