world

‘A man before an American’

Schaffhausen, Switzerland – Fireworks filled the Swiss sky Saturday in celebration of the Swiss National Holiday. Reminiscent of Fourth of July celebrations, the Swiss holiday brought out flags, fireworks and bratwursts for grilling.

But Aug. 1 is more than just a day off for some 8 million Swiss citizens. The holiday stands as a symbol of togetherness for this diverse country divided by 4 national languages.

Much like America, Switzerland has become quite a melting pot of different beliefs, ethnicities and tastes. Catholic and Protestant churches stand tall in the downtown area over believers and non-believers alike. New Turkish immigrants have set up stores selling kebab, gyros and falafel right alongside Italian, French, Mexican, Asian, American and traditional Swiss-German restaurants.

But precisely what holds Swiss culture together cannot be reduced to its diversity.
It began in 1291 when three states took an oath to band together and defend themselves against the powerful and imperialistic Austrian Empire. The Swiss confederacy was an underdog, but the conviction that they would rather die than be slaves to the Austrians helped them prevail.

And on its often-dismissed National Holiday, Switzerland stood together as a proud people. When I asked a few people why they were proud to be Swiss, I received some interesting answers:

“I support the political views, especially the neutrality that modern-day Switzerland has.”

“I think Switzerland is a good place to live in, with public transportation and many public recreational spaces.”

“Well, probably because I was born here.”

“Why does an American even care?”

This last response really struck me. Sure, I have taken a lot of punches while spending time in Switzerland about my home country, but this last one saddened me most of all. Here I stood, sincerely trying to understand another people and their culture, but my nationality hindered me from trying to get to know other people. I didn’t choose to be born an American. I didn’t choose to carry the weight of the wars in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq on my shoulders.

In a heat I replied to this person, “I cannot help where I came from. It is not my fault that my country is careless. I am a man before I am an American!”

I felt quite embarrassed at my sudden exclamation, and my face began to turn red. I cordially apologized and thanked this person for his time. I turned around and headed up the street looking at the Swiss flags on the sides of buildings. I thought about how America fought against the English, about the diversity of food and culture America has, and I thought about all of the American flags that were up in America one month earlier for July Fourth.