Jazz from Bloomington still strong after 2 venue closings

Group celebrated a decade of music Saturday

When Tutto Bene and Jazz at the Station closed within weeks of each other earlier this year, Bloomington lost more than just a couple of its fine dining restaurants.

The two were hot spots for the local jazz scene and were key programming centers for
Jazz from Bloomington, a nonprofit organization that sponsors jazz concerts.

Jazz from Bloomington celebrated its 10th anniversary Saturday while struggling to regain its bearings with the two recent venue closings. Members met to discuss how to maintain the healthy jazz scene prevalent in Bloomington.

Former Jazz from Bloomington President Carl Weinberg said the group has sponsored 59 concerts in its 10-year history, but despite those successes the organization faces challenges in the near future.

“The global economic crisis has affected the world of music,” Weinberg said.

About 10 members met in the gallery of the John Waldron Arts Center to discuss the future of events such as its community-wide jam sessions, which formerly took place at Jazz at the Station.

Group treasurer John Lawson shared a fiscal report from the past three years.

In addition, they discussed how to create a mutually beneficial relationship with jazz organizations in Indianapolis and how to create a membership package that will attract more members.

Though Jazz from Bloomington sponsored five major events in its 2008-2009 season, members believe attendance could have been higher for those events if their advertising strategies were tweaked, including increased poster use and Facebook advertising.

Incoming President Monika Herzig, one of the founders of Jazz from Bloomington, said the group is at a crossroads.

“If we can stick our heads together,” Herzig said, “we can grow something nice with this.”