Man arrested after flipping car

The Bloomington Police Department arrested a man after he crashed a vehicle while intoxicated and caused another man to sustain serious injuries.

Michael Farris, 21, faces charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, causing serious injury and leaving the scene of an accident, Canada said.

Farris also had a warrant out for parole violation, and his driver’s license had been suspended.

At 3:39 a.m. Tuesday, Officer Ian Lovan responded to a call about a vehicle crash in the 2900 block of N. Dunn St. in which the driver had fled on foot, Canada said. Officer Scott Reynolds also responded to the call and found four men walking near Bankers Drive and Blue Ridge Drive. One did not have a shirt on, and blood was running down his arm. A fifth man had been trapped in the passenger seat of the car.

Farris initially denied what happened but later confessed, Canada said. Farris had been driving 55 to 60 miles per hour in the 30 mile per hour zone when he tried to brake for a curve in the road. The vehicle slid, flipped and landed 40 to 50 feet down in an embankment, Canada said.

Officers found Farris was intoxicated and took him into custody, Canada said.

The man trapped in the passenger seat was removed from the vehicle and suffered facial fractions. Three of the other passengers had minor injuries, Canada said.