Upward Bound gets $2M to help students prepare for college

U.S. Department of Education awards 4 grants to IPFW

A program that helps disadvantaged high school students prepare for college will receive $2 million in grants.\nIU-Purdue University Fort Wayne’s Upward Bound program is slated to receive two four-year grants for $250,000 each from the U.S. Department of Education. One grant is a renewal of the original grant initially awarded in 2003. The other is a new grant to expand the program.\nChancellor Michael Wartell announced the grants Wednesday.\nUpward Bound aims to help disadvantaged students enroll in and graduate from college. Students, who are required to be freshmen or sophomores when they enter the program, must meet income guidelines and must be the first person in their families with the potential to receive a bachelor’s degree. The program is free to students.\n“It really adds to our community,” said program director Roxanne Gregg. “We really believe here that Upward Bound can help students get to college, and nothing is beyond their reach. Anyone can get a college education with the right assistance and help.”\nThe students attend classes on the IPFW campus for supplemental math, language arts and science instruction and receive help with college applications, essays, financial aid and scholarship forms. They also visit colleges and take summer courses at college for high school credit.\nThe program initially served 50 students from three Fort Wayne high schools. The additional funding will allow 100 students at those schools and three others to participate.