Roger Federer loses to Nadal in French Open final

PARIS – Roger Federer missed another chance at the French Open.\nActually, he missed 16 chances.\nFederer converted only one of 17 break-point opportunities Sunday, and his bid to complete a career Grand Slam was foiled again Sunday by nemesis Rafael Nadal. The Spaniard won his third Roland Garros title in a row, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.\n“I am very happy,” Nadal said during the trophy ceremony. “But I am really sad for Roger. He is a friend and I know he is a great champion, whether he wins or loses.”\nFor the third consecutive year in Paris, the top-ranked Federer sought to become the sixth man to win all four Grand Slam events. Nadal defeated him in the semifinals in 2005 and in the final last year.\n“Of course, I’m a bit sad, a bit disappointed,” the 25-year-old Federer said. “Eventually, if I get it, the sweeter it’s going to taste. So hopefully I’ll give myself more and more opportunities, over and over again. I know I can do it now, that’s for sure.”\nThe latest loss also spoiled Federer’s bid to win a fourth consecutive major title, something last done by Rod Laver in 1969.\nWith a sequence of brilliant shots, Federer won many of the highlight-reel rallies, but squandered chances doomed him. He failed to convert his first 11 break-point chances, putting pressure on his own serve by repeatedly allowing Nadal to hold.\n“Bad thing – I missed too many opportunities,” Federer said. “I couldn’t get them done, in the first set especially, and then that maybe in the long run hurt me.”\nWhile losing serve only once, Nadal broke four times in 10 chances. He had 27 unforced errors to 59 for Federer.\nRooting for history, the crowd was pro-Federer and occasionally chanted “Ro-ger! Ro-ger!” But when Federer’s final shot landed long, fans roared for Nadal as he collapsed on his back to the clay in jubilation.\n“It’s a dream for me,” Nadal said. “I worked very hard to be the best.”\nFor Federer, the story was all too familiar: Since the beginning of 2005, he’s 4-7 against Nadal and 199-7 against everyone else. He fell to 1-6 lifetime against Nadal on clay.\nThe second-ranked Nadal made a little history of his own, becoming the second man since 1914 to win the tournament three consecutive times, and the first since Bjorn Borg in 1978-81. Still only 21, Nadal improved to 21-0 at Roland Garros and 34-0 in best-of-five-set matches on clay.\nOn the warmest day of the tournament, with the temperature reaching 81 degrees, spectators in the sun fanned themselves from the outset, and both players began to look weary in the pivotal third set. But the dogged Nadal kept chasing down shots all over the court, sprinting after one drop shot and flicking a winner nearly three hours into the match.\nNadal relentlessly probed his opponent’s weaker side, sometimes forcing Federer to hit half a dozen backhands in a rally. But Federer’s usually formidable forehand may have hurt him more – the shot misfired several times on potential put-aways and sailed long.\n“I couldn’t really impose my game like I wanted to,” he said. “I tried to make the game happen with my forehand. He didn’t allow me to do that too well.”\nFederer repeatedly had chances to take command. In the first set Nadal fell behind on his serve 15-40 twice and love-40 once, but each time the Spaniard rallied to hold.\nFederer took a 3-2 lead but became dispirited when he failed to convert five break points in the next game, and Nadal won five consecutive games.\nFederer broke for the only time to go ahead 4-3 lead in the second set. Even then he needed five set-point opportunities before he closed out the set to pull even.\nIt was the only set Nadal lost in the tournament, and he bounced back quickly, breaking in the second game of the third set en route to a 3-0 lead. Nadal broke again for a 2-1 lead in the fourth set when Federer dumped a weary shot in the net, and the Spaniard never wavered from there.\nIn the final two sets, Nadal faced only one break point, saving it with a big forehand.\nHe won $1.34 million, while Federer received $670,000 – small consolation for a player who has dominated the other major events, winning Wimbledon four times and the U.S. Open and Australian Open three times each, all since 2003.