Stupider than fiction

Will Ferrell is a mediocre comedian. There, I said it. I'm sorry, but it's true. He has one and a half characters (crazy guy who screams stuff and mostly quiet, weird guy who occasionally screams crazy stuff).\nBut despite his far-reaching acting "talent," studio executives apparently thought he would be the perfect for a semi-serious role in the dull and painfully unfunny romantic comedy, "Stranger Than Fiction."\nThe movie opens with Harold Crick (Ferrell) as an uptight IRS auditor stuck in the same old rut until he meets an anarchistic baker played by Maggie Gyllenhall who he's trying to audit. Despite their differences, the two fall madly in love in the worst romance since "Attack of the Clones."\nBut here's the big twist: As Crick goes along with his day-to-day life, he begins hearing the voice of a British woman narrating his every move, which informs him of his impending death.\nSo of course he does the only logical thing in this situation -- he goes to a professor of literature played by Dustin Hoffman so they can figure out if Ferrell is living a tragedy or a comedy.\nThe real tragedy is wasting Hoffman's acting talents in this horrible film, as he gives the only truly great performance amidst a mediocre group of actors.\nThe entire concept is mind-numbingly stupid, the chemistry between Ferrell and Gyllenhall is nonexistent and casting Ferrell in the lead may be the biggest mistake in cinema history. Watching "Stranger Than Fiction" may actually result in brain damage (I consulted a professor of film for that diagnosis as it was the only logical thing to do in this situation).\nIf you must see a Will Ferrell movie this holiday season, just watch "Old School." Again.