Trustees consider multi-million dollar plans

Proposals from RPS, athletics to be debated Friday

The IU board of trustees will hold its regularly scheduled meeting today in the Indiana Memorial Union.\nResidential Programs and Services requests the board to approve a $9.2 million plan to install air conditioning in Forest Quad, according to the agenda.\nThe proposed construction would also remove asbestos present in student rooms in Forest.\nAsbestos was used for insulation in most buildings built before 1980, so it is present in Forest, Briscoe and McNutt Quads and in Tulip Tree Apartments.\nIntact asbestos poses no health risks, but inhaling the damaged fibers can harm the lungs many years after exposure. It has been recognized as a carcinogen and is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.\nThis semester, resident assistants began warning students living in dorms of the possible asbestos risk, though there is no immediate danger to students as long as they do not damage the asbestos present in their ceilings.\nRPS plannings renovations of the four buildings within the next 10 years that should remove all the asbestos, RPS Executive Director Pat Connor said in an August interview.\nRPS is also requesting approval of a $3 million renovation project for the bathrooms on the four floors of the Bocobo wing of McNutt and the three floors of the Elkin wing of Teter Quad. The renovations will include improvements to shower stalls so residents will have more privacy.\nTrustees will also vote on a $55 million plan to improve and build several athletic facilities on campus.\nThe athletics department has proposed a Memorial Stadium North End Zone Project that will connect the east and west stands of the stadium with a four-story complex featuring new offices, a strength training room and an IU Hall of Fame.\nThe department is also requesting funds for a men's and women's basketball practice facility to be located just southeast of Assembly Hall and a new baseball and softball complex.\nWhile presenting the designs to the trustees Wednesday afternoon several IU coaches spoke in support of the projects. Both head football coach Terry Hoeppner and head basketball coach Kelvin Sampson said the facilities were needed to improve recruitment.\n"Our athletics facilities are probably the worst in the Big Ten," Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan said at Wednesday's meeting. "It's my view that we simply must correct that fundamental deficiency if we're going to keep the outstanding coaches that we have, if we're going to achieve the level of success to which we aspire, and, frankly, if we're going to provide an environment that's conducive to our fans."\nThe meeting is scheduled to begin at 1:45 p.m. in the Frangipani Room of the IMU and is open to the public.