ONLINE ONLY: Title IX assaults sciences

Everyone knows the stereotype that sciences are male-dominated and liberal arts female-dominated. Having a major in each, I can personally attest that the stereotype couldn't hold truer.\nDon't trust my word? Here's what Government Accountability Office report, demanded by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Cal.), had to say: 40 percent of bachelor's degrees and 26 percent of doctorates in the physical sciences are awarded to women. Numbers are similar for the life sciences and mathematics and about half of this for engineering. In all other fields, however, women earn 59 percent of bachelor's degrees and 53 percent of all doctorates.\nJust look at IU: Of the 39 members of the IU Chemistry Faculty, five are women and only three of them have research labs. About the same difference exists among students in the math and science classes I've taken.\nAs one can imagine, these statistics have been fodder for the radical feminazi agenda.\nNot content with imposing their agenda on sports, certain women's (oops… sorry, wymyn's) groups want to use Title IX (surprise!), to demand quotas this time is the male-dominated fields of math, science, engineering and computer science.\nIn the past 11 years, the U.S. Department of Education conducted only three Title IX compliance reviews in the areas of math and science. This year alone, Assistant Secretary of Education Stephanie Monroe announced that the Education Department, in conjunction with the National Science Foundation, would conduct six such reviews.\nAccording to "Ms." Magazine, the idea behind this is to determine whether science-related departments offer as much support to women as men.\nScience departments do not bar women from studying. In fact, they are one the few fields where achievement is gauged almost solely off of knowledge of the material rather than ability to b.s., as they say. Women probably face the fairest competition in these fields.\nI attribute the disparity to lack of female interest in science-related fields and a difference preference for the liberal-arts method of thinking. Yet when Harvard President Larry Summers suggested the same thing, his faculty raised an uproar and forced his resignation.\nLet the sciences be. I think it is excellent that many women do face the challenge and pursue their interest in studying science -- but they should pursue interest, not lucrative grants offered by universities seeking to beef up the amount of women in the sciences or the ease of being passed through a degree program to ensure that quotas of women receiving diplomas are met.\nMoreover, the movement for more women in the sciences is completely hypocritical. Since women earn most of the degrees in fields of liberal arts, why is there not a movement to enforce quotas of male English or psychology majors? Why do universities not pursue a "men in the liberal arts" initiative to attract male students?\nThe feminists do not want equality; they want control and power, and will stop at nothing to get it. In the 1990's, for every woman that gained an opportunity to play college sports, 3.4 men had that same opportunity taken away. If that happens with the sciences, the results will be disastrous. Perhaps a future Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton will be turned away in favor of a woman not interested in science, but whom the university needs to fulfill its quota.