2 for 2 for Robertson's Hoosiers

IU tops Ball State 3-0, SMS 4-3 to cap undefeated weekend

In its first home game of a two-game weekend between Ball State and Southwest Missouri State, the IU field hockey team dominated the Cardinals 3-0. All three IU goals were scored in the second half, one each by junior Nikki Orciuch, sophomore Lydia Schrott, and freshman Frederique Meeuwen respectively. \nDespite a strong first half appearance that resulted in nine shots on goal to Ball State's one, the Hoosiers couldn't get anything past Cardinals goaltender Tracy Bannister. \n"We were overexcited in the first half," said IU coach Amy Robertson, "we did not recognize opportunities and needed to move the ball better." \nIU stepped it up in the second half with 17 shots including the three scores. Schrott added a team-high six shots on goal, while Meeuwen scored her first goal as a Hoosier. \n"In the second half we managed to out-hustle Ball State," Schrott said. "The team was more poised and connected with each other." \nDespite missing junior Morgan Albini to a foot injury in the second half, the biggest news of the game was the play of IU's defense. The Hoosiers allowed only two shots on goaltender Katie Kanara and shut down 2003 Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year Lindsay Quay. \n"We have a deep team defensively and we are ready to play at any time of the game," Robertson said. \nIn their second game, the Hoosiers won a narrow victory over Southwest Missouri State, 4-3, because of an overtime goal from sophomore Morgan Miller. The goal extended IU's winning streak to two and gives the team a 3-1 record. \n"I don't really know what happened. I hit the ball hard, it found some space in the net, and went in," Miller said. \nDespite beating Southwest Missouri State 4-0 last year, the Hoosiers knew they had a fierce competition in front of them. Starting the second half, Schrott took a pass from midfield and dribbled through the Bears' defense to put IU up by one goal. IU was holding onto the one goal lead late in the second half, when the Bear's Gabby Gomez tied the score at three. Miller finally won the game for the Hoosiers three minutes into overtime off of a rebound from Mallory Reabold. \n"I'm exceptionally proud of our team. SMS is one of the better teams we've faced and it was a fight, but we stayed in it," Robertson said. \nIn the game, IU had a team record 33 shots on goal, including one corner shy of another school record with 14. \nThe Hoosiers take the field next against Appalachian State at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Mellencamp Pavilion. \n-- Staff writer Sam Nissen contributed to this article. Contact staff writer Andrew Shaffer at asshaffe@indiana.edu.