Studio offers alternatives

Local pottery store, Latest Glaze, creates new product

Bloomington's only paint-your-own pottery studio is expanding its merchandise by offering a new way for customers to get creative -- Plush to Stuff animals.\nThe new program at Latest Glaze on 1301 S. College Mall Rd. allows people to choose a plush animal, paint a ceramic heart, stuff the animal and create a birth certificate and T-shirt for the animal for $22.\n"I think it will definitely expand their market," said senior Sara Gepfert, a former employee. "There's nothing like that in Bloomington."\nThe first group tried out the new project last week.\n"We have 13 scheduled for next week," owner Bill Benedict said. "We've had interest from college students who come in here."\nBendict said dorm floors, sororities and other college groups enjoy coming to Latest Glaze, and he is excited to offer this new product line to them. \n"It will be great for people that come in to paint pottery a lot to have another option," he said. "Latest Glaze is just a fun place to come to. The Plush to Stuff animals will also make another good option for a gift."\nBenedict said there are other plush creation stores, but he believes Latest Glaze offers a unique experience, a rarity in the Midwest. \n"We belong to a trade association of about 800 other studios. We were about the second (make-your-own pottery) studio in Indiana. There is maybe close to a dozen in different cities now," he said. "They began to add animals (to the shops) on the East Coast. We thought it would be a neat extra option … It's another great option for a gift."\nThe Latest Glaze Web site, www.latestglaze.com, lists hours and information about the studio. \n-- Contact staff writer Jenny Kobiela at jkobiela@indiana.edu.