Jerry Yeagley coaches last home game at IU

Sunday afternoon was a historic occasion at Armstrong Stadium for several reasons. Not only did the IU men's soccer team score a record five goals in the second half against No. 9 seed Virginia Commonwealth to blank the Rams, 5-0, in the third round of the NCAA Tournament, the No. 8 seed Hoosiers (14-3-5) also advanced to the tournament quarterfinals. \nMost notably, however, renowned IU coach Jerry Yeagley coached his last game at home, as he will retire at the end of the season.\nYeagley reminisced about his last match at Armstrong Stadium and a potential showdown with top-seeded UCLA.\n"If it is, I'll remember it very fondly," Yeagley said. "You never know. If we go to UCLA, what better opportunity and challenge. To play the team everyone picked to win it. If we go out there, we'll be prepared and ready."\nDefending national champion UCLA defeated Florida International, 2-0, in Los Angeles Sunday. As a result, the Hoosiers and Bruins (20-1-1) will square off Saturday night in L.A.\nAfter the win against the Rams (17-5-0), the Hoosiers have a 42-3 all-time record at Armstrong Stadium in the tournament, including 64 tournament wins all-time. \nMeanwhile, the IU players said they were happy to win Yeagley's last home game of his illustrious career.\n"Hopefully, it's not our last home game," said freshmen forward Jacob Peterson, who recorded a goal in the win over Virginia Commonwealth. "But there's no better way to send him out at home -- five goals in a game. We didn't score five goals in a game all of last year."\nYeagley has amassed 541 career victories, which are second most in Division I history, and he could tie Stephen Negoesco, who collected 544 wins in his nearly 40 years at San Francisco.\nThe Hoosiers would have to advance to the national title game and win the championship for Yeagley to tie the record.\nThis year's College Cup is in Columbus, Ohio, with the semifinals set for Dec.12 and the national title match scheduled for Dec. 14.\nHowever, sophomore midfielder Brian Plotkin said he is focused on the task at hand. \n"It should be a great challenge, if (UCLA) can find a way to win," Plotkin said before the Bruins game went final. "We're looking forward to the match-up."\nUCLA outlasted Stanford, 1-0, to capture the Championship last year in Dallas. This season, the Bruins were ranked No. 1 in all four soccer polls at the end of the regular season, and their lone loss came against No. 2 seed Maryland at the beginning of the season. \nA confident Yeagley responded after Plotkin's comment regarding playing UCLA.\n"We're going to go toe to toe with them," Yeagley said. "From our history, it's clear -- we're not just satisfied with the final eight."\nUnder Yeagley's tutelage, IU ranks third for current longest active winning seasons' streak behind only UCLA (36) and Clemson (33). He has earned a winning season in all 31 of his seasons in Bloomington, and he has won over 80 percent of his overall career games. \nYeagley summed up what it would be like to play UCLA, a team that has won four national titles.\n"Our mentality is UCLA has to play us," Yeagley said. "We're not scared of anybody. We can play with them"