Around The Arts

MFA student to conduct artist's talk in final exhibition\nIU MFA student Sarah Edmonds will conduct an artist's talk and reception from 7 to 9 p.m. today at the School of Fine Arts Gallery. "Annular transitions" is an installation consisting of 360 lemons. Each of the pieces has been zested, juiced, de-seeded, bottled and dehydrated. The exhibition also includes an intaglio print of the installation made by etching metal plates with lemon juice and printing the impressions. Edmonds had worked in diverse media including mixed media print, drawing and sculpture. She has also taught bookbinding, drawing, monotype and monoprint techniques. The exhibition will be available for viewing through May 10. \nPhotographer to present beauty of Southeast Asia\nIn conjunction with the Bloomington Chamber Singers performance of "Dreams Within a Dream," fine art photographer John McDermott will exhibit impressionistic, moody images from his ongoing work on the spiritual beauty of Southeast Asia. Inspired by a total eclipse of the sun that McDermott witnessed at Angkor in Cambodia in 1995, these dreamlike photographs capture a sense of mystery and grandeur. An artist's reception, open to the public, will be held from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday prior to the concert. The exhibit will be available for viewing for the rest of May. \nJohn McDermott has been photographing Southeast Asia since the early 1990s. From 1993 to 1997, McDermott worked as the Chief Photographer for Manager, a Bangkok-based English-language monthly magazine that covered business, culture and lifestyle throughout the region. During his travels, McDermott developed a strong personal interest in the many cultural heritage sites and ancient historical ruins spread across the continent. At the end of 2002, the National Museum of Cambodia placed photographs from his series on Angkor on permanent display in one of the museum's galleries.\nLocal publishing house releases literary magazine\nPathwise Press, a Bloomington-based publishing house, has released its literary magazine, Bathtub Gin #12. The magazine is a bi-annual literary/art compilation featuring poetry, short fiction, drama, essays and artwork. This issue features an interview with expatriate poet Mark Terrill and selections from his upcoming Pathwise chapbook, "The United Colors of Death." The issue also incorporates the poetry of Alan Catlin, Christopher Cunningham, Jim DeWitt, Doug Draime, John Grey, Kyle Miner, Dan Raphael, Suzanne Walker and Robert Wooten. The issue's art includes cover art by Borzam from Italy, drawings by Harland Ristau and photos by Caryn Thurman. Local authors Eileen Cruz Coleman, Jason DeBoer and Karen Dionne also present their short fiction pieces in the magazine. Bathtub Gin # 12 is available at Boxcar Books, Howard's Bookstore and TD's CDs & LPs.