Three compete at championship

The NCAA wrestling season came to an end Sunday in Kansas City, Mo. By the end of the three-day tournament the Oklahoma State Cowboys had proven they could live up to expectations as they concluded the year holding the No. 1 ranking, their 31st NCAA wrestling title. \nWhile the Cowboys celebrated an end to one of their finest seasons, three Hoosiers qualified for the NCAA tournament, but suffered a disappointing finish to a difficult season. Junior Coyte Cooper and seniors Ty Matthews and Greg Schaefer were unsuccessful in their quest for a national title and All-American honors. \nMatthews was one of the team's best performers this year. After moving down to the 184-pound weight class, Matthews went undefeated until the final home meet of the season when he lost to Iowa senior Jessman Smith. In his first bout of the NCAA tournament, Matthews faced Cal-Poly freshman Ryan Halsey. Halsey proved too much for Matthews, as he was defeated in a 10-2 major decision.\nThe first round loss sent Matthews into the consolation bracket where he squared off against Northern Iowa sophomore Jordan Holm. At the end of regulation, Matthews and Holm were tied at 1-1. In the overtime period, Holm struck first. His takedown ended Matthews' meet, tournament and season. Matthews ended his final year at IU with a 27-4 record.\nSchaefer also got off to a rocky start. In his first match of the tournament, he faced Appalachian State senior Travis Drake. Drake defeated Schaefer with an 11-4 decision. In the consolation round, Schaefer got back on track by defeating The Citadel sophomore Sean Markey by virtue of a 17-7 major decision. Schaefer then won his second straight match by beating Sacred Heart senior Jason Cucolo 3-2.\nBut, Schaefer lost to North Carolina sophomore Evan Sola. Sola ended Schaefer's hopes for an All-American title after defeating him 7-5. \nCooper was the most sucessful of the Hoosiers, traveling the furthest in the tournament of any IU wrestler. Cooper seemed to be on his way to an All-American title, but senior Aaron Holker of Iowa State ended Cooper's season. Holker left Cooper one victory short of seventh place, the qualifying mark for All-American honors.\nCooper started the tournament by defeating Northern Illinois freshman Josh Wooten 13-3 in the opening round. But, in his second bout, Cooper was sent to the consolation bracket after dropping a 2-0 decision to Lockhaven junior Mike Maney.\nIn the next bout, Cooper took Michigan State junior Ryan L'Amoreaux into overtime before winning 11-9. Cooper then defeated Fresno State junior Casey Olson 11-5. \nThe victory over Olson set up the bout with Holker. Holker pinned Cooper in 3:37 to end Cooper's season. Cooper was the final Hoosier to be ousted from the tournament and he completed the season with a 38-5 record.