Team ready to win title

Seniors, team prepare to host Big Ten Championship

Many question marks exist as to what this weekend's Big Ten Championships will bring for the women's track and field team, but coach Randy Heisler is confident of one thing.\n"The seniors are going to show up," he said. "They win -- that's what they do."\nHeisler said the seniors, including sprinters Danielle Carruthers and Rachelle Boone, jumpers Rose Richmond and Tandra Foster and thrower Kelley McKinney, have "changed the (track) program."\nEach of the above seniors is ranked within the top eight for the conference meet, which will be hosted by the No. 8 Hoosiers this Saturday and Sunday in the Gladstein Fieldhouse. \nMcKinney, who is ranked fourth in the weight throw, said she believes that her performances in the indoor season so far, as well as progress during practices, have prepared her for a strong conference meet. \n"I really believe that I can win personally," she said. "I know our team can win if we do our best."\nMcKinney said the team discussed how much effort it will take to win this weekend.\n"We know we need to leave everything out on the track," she said. \nThe squad's biggest challenge will come from a strong Michigan team. \nLast season, Michigan won the conference championship by just one and a half points, and McKinney said the rivalry will push the team to victory because it is "out for revenge."\n"There's no way we're going to let them come here and beat us on our own track," she said.\nHeisler said that the Wolverines' depth will pose a problem in the distance events as well as the 4x400 relay and the distance medley. The Hoosiers have experienced a gap in these events this season and are still waiting for a few of the runners to step up. \n"On paper it doesn't look close," Heisler said, but he remains optimistic that having the meet at home, in front of a home crowd will "fill in the question marks."\nOne part of the team that has showed its strength in this season is the sprinters. Boone is seeded first in both the 60- and 200-meter dashes. She has already automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in both events, and holds the third best time in the nation in the 60. \nFellow sprinter Carruthers has had an impressive season as well. Carruthers is seeded second in the 60-meter hurdles and eighth in the 60-meter dash. She has qualified automatically for the NCAA Championships in the hurdles, and currently holds the fourth fastest time in the nation this season. \nRichmond, who missed the first three meets of the season due to injury, has proved that she is in stride for a landmark performance this weekend. Richmond has improved her jumps in each of the three meets she has competed in, finishing first in two of them. Last weekend at the Hoosier Hills Open she achieved a personal record distance in addition to reaching a provisionally qualifying distance. Richmond is seeded second in the event and Foster, the defending indoor champ, is seeded third. \nRichmond said that the team is ready for the challenges this weekend will bring. \n"I think everyone is in the right frame of mind and everyone wants to win," she said. "Hopefully we can prove it Saturday and Sunday."\nThe action starts 9 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. Sunday at the Gladstein Fieldhouse.