Two guards, one goal

One kicks the scorers table, slams a basketball and makes it clear to everyone in the stadium that he is frustrated. The other one silently drops and shakes his head, clenching his fist, berating himself, but not letting anyone else see it or hear it.\nOne has tattoos adorning his arms and legs and has gained a reputation for his emotionally-charged play. The other has a buzz cut, and a look of seriousness mixed with business on the court.\nMeet junior guard A.J. Moye and senior guard Kyle Hornsby. As different as they may seem, they are both working toward a common goal of improving themselves and the team for a shot at another NCAA title run.\n"A.J. is going to get more time this year, but whose time that is who knows," Hornsby said. "But A.J. is definitely going to his minutes up, and I hope mine would get up. Then again my minutes could go way down ,you just never know .But they're definitely not heading in that direction, but we'll see how it goes."\nThe two worked hard over the summer to assure maximum playing time. Moye stayed in Bloomington for the summer, losing weight like he concentrated on last summer. Moye also spent the break running sprints and stairs, and spending what he estimates to be over an hour on the stationary bike or the Stairmaster each day.\nHornsby worked on his quickness as well, and spent his summer running in preparation for the preseason conditioning.\n"I just wanted to stay in shape," Hornsby said. "I remember what it felt like to come in the first two years and really not have a solid foundation. It's extremely painful to come in, not have a foundation and not be at the weight you want to play at. A lot of people get hurt that way."\nBut Moye, free from the shoulder pain that plagued him last year, and Hornsby both have individual agendas they are working towards for the season. For the pair of guards who were played off each other last year, each has different goals.\nFor Moye, with the block over Duke's Carlos Boozer in the front court fresh in his mind, he would like to see more time in a position under the basket. With IU being as guard heavy as it is, Moye could see more playing minutes in the front court.\n"We'll probably play Moye inside some," IU coach Mike Davis said. "He made that suggestion to me, so that he could be on the court. So I'll listen to him. He's worked hard and he understands. He tasted success last year and he told me he wanted to go to the Final Four three years in a row."\nHornsby's goal is to prove that he's more than just a three-point shooter. Best known for his long-range shooting, Hornsby concentrated on his speed and different types of shots. One shot in particular he is working on is the "runner," where a player shoots the ball immediately after catching it.\n"I'm experimenting with that," Hornsby said. "If I make it, they'll let me shoot it, but if I start missing it they will cut me off. But I wanted to add something."\nHornsby also admits that his role as a defensive player will be increased.\n"I think more than last year," Hornsby said. "I think I did a pretty good job last year, but they really didn't need me to step into that role as a defensive stopper because we had Dane (Fife)."\nThis year, both Moye and Hornsby are thrown into the leadership roles. And despite being guard-heavy, the Hoosiers will rely on this duo's experience during the season, especially if IU wants to repeat last season.\nAnd that is exactly what Moye and Hornsby intend to do.\n"We are really focusing on us," Hornsby said. "Because if we do what we are supposed to do, then everything will work out. Everyone needs a little luck during the season, but some people say you make your own luck by just preparing. That's what we are doing"