Team looks for third win

After nearly sweeping the Spartans, the Hoosiers host the Hawkeyes

After sweeping Evansville and winning 12 of 13 events against Michigan State, the 2-0 IU men's swimming and diving teams look to continue their winning ways. Today, the Hoosiers host the 0-1 Iowa Hawkeyes at 5 p.m. at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center.\nWhen IU and Iowa met last season in Iowa City, the Hoosiers were victorious with a score of 169-130. IU leads the overall series against Iowa 18-12, including an 8-4 record in Bloomington. But that does not mean that the Hoosiers will be taking the Hawkeyes lightly. \nFirst year IU coach Ray Looze said Iowa will be gunning for IU to avoid an 0-2 start. \n"Iowa will be taking the meet seriously," Looze said. "They do not want to be 0-2. I have told the team that teams that swim fast in practice, swim fast in meets. I have asked them to crank up the intensity." \nLooze hopes to open the meet with three consecutive wins in the 200-yard medley, the 1000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard freestyle. Looze's philosophy on his opponents is that if you can hit them hard and early in the meet, then you can usually defeat them. \nJunior backstroker Matt Leach said all of the races today should come down to the finish. \n"Iowa has pretty good depth," Leach said. "I think that a lot of the races will be close." \nLeach also said senior captain Dave Schulze will be a swimmer to watch for today. Schulze, who is IU's top breaststroker, will be swimming the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard breaststroke two events later. Leach said he believes Schulze is ready to swim fast and lead the team to victory, even with those two events so close together. \nDiving coach Jeff Huber said the diving team has been hard at work doing less drills and practicing more competitive dives to prepare for Iowa.\n"Iowa has some outstanding divers," Huber said. "This will be a good test for us. They will be a tough team." \nHuber said his team is healthy and he plans to compete six divers against Iowa. Last week against Michigan State, Huber said he was pleased with what he saw on the 1-meter but was disappointed with the team's performance on the 3-meter. He added he hopes both competitions will go better today against Iowa. \nOn the one-meter at the meet against the Spartans, junior Alex Burns shattered his career best by 50 points and qualified for the NCAA Zones with a 321.23 score. Against the Hawkeyes, junior All-American Marc Carlton will continue his quest to break Mark Lenzi's 3-meter record. \nBurns' efforts against the Spartans earned him the nod as Big Ten Diver of the Week.\n"Great for him, he deserves it, he has come a long way," Huber said in a statement. "He was most improved diver last year and to win this is quite an accomplishment. Alex has trained hard. I think he is starting to see how much talent he has and what level he can dive up to."\nThe Hoosiers hope their home pool advantage and talent will be enough to overcome Iowa's speed.\n"We have a hungry group of guys here,"Looze said, "so I will take my chances with them"