Meet the Big Ten: Michigan

The Michigan men's basketball team starts its season in style. By traveling to the Virgin Islands in a non-conference tournament, the Wolverines are kicking off their season the same way they hope to end. In style, with a winning record.\nThe Michigan team is past the first year awkwardness with second year coach Tommy Amaker. Amaker has settled into his position, and the Wolverines have grown accustomed to his coaching style and mannerisms.\n"We know what to expect now," senior LaVell Blanchard said. "Last year, everybody was new to the system, new to his scheme and his discipline, his ideas. Now the upperclassmen have a grasp on what he wants, I think we'll really improve."\nMichigan looks to rebuild on a season that had more losses than wins, with a few upsets thrown in the mix.\nBut in order to come up with a strong, resilient team, the Wolverines expect good plays and shots from Blanchard, who Amaker names their team leader.\n"We're looking at Blanchard being our best player," Amaker said. "His role for us is being our best worker and best player. We think our leadership is very important, and both Blanchard and (senior guard Gavin) Groninger have to bring different things to the table, specifically Blanchard being the things on the floor, and certainly with Gavin being an older guy." \nThe Wolverines are young experience-wise, after losing three of their starters to graduation. Blanchard and junior Bernard Robinson Jr. are the only two starters left, with six returning players and six newcomers.\nDespite the youth of the team, the Wolverines expect to make waves in the Big Ten this season.\n"This year, I would look at us as a team striving to become a competitive team in our league," Amaker said. "Striving to become a team that can put ourselves in a position to try to finish in the upper part of the conference"