IU hungry for first conference win

IU is only two games into the Great Midwest Hockey League season, but it may already be do-or-die time for the Hoosier hockey team.\nIU (4-5-0, 0-2-0) returns to Bloomington after getting swept in a two-game road trip that included a 3-4 loss to Michigan and a 1-4 loss to Oakland. The series started GMHL play for the Hoosiers, who find themselves eight points back in league standings.\n"We are the defending champions of the GMHL," freshman forward Pete Johnson said. "So we definitely have the challenge to defend that status." \nThere is some good news for IU. Oakland University (10-2-1, 4-0-0) leads the league with eight points, but the Grizzlies play two non-conference games this weekend. If IU can get two wins, they will cut Oakland's lead in half, but two tough teams will stand in the Hoosiers' way.\nIU will face off against Michigan (8-1-1, 3-1-1) for the second time in two weeks. Last weekend, IU lost to the Wolverines when graduate forward Kent Bednarz netted his first goal of the season with just 2:21 remaining in the game. Junior defenseman Justin Peck said revenge is one of the factors that will motivate the Hoosiers this weekend.\n"It was a pretty close game all along; it could've gone either way," Peck said. "I think we are definitely going to prove something this weekend."\nCoach Rich Holdeman said IU and Michigan matched up pretty evenly, but that the Hoosiers weren't able to play well in key final minutes.\n"That one just feels like it got away from us." Holdeman said. "I don't think the guys had a good time last weekend, and they're glad to have the chance to get Michigan here to try to avenge that loss."\nFerris State (7-3-1, 0-1-2) will take on the Hoosiers for the first time this season. The Bulldogs are coming off a weekend series in which they scored 14 goals against Saginaw Valley State. FSU's two conference ties were against Michigan and Michigan State.\n"I think they are a pretty solid team, quite a bit improved from last year." Holdeman said. "Both our games with them were close last year, and I think they'll be better this year."\nBoth FSU and Michigan have at least five players averaging over one point per game. IU's top scorers, Johnson and senior defenseman Joe Rogers, are each averaging 1.0 points per game. IU has more players with points, however, which Holdeman said can be an advantage.\n"In some regards it's a good thing because we are more balanced in our attack. I think its harder to defend against a team like that (with balanced scoring)" Holdeman said. \nIU will play just their second and third home games of November this weekend. In the first, IU dropped a close contest to Michigan State in a non-conference matchup. The home loss to MSU was the Hoosiers first dating back to Jan. 20, 2001. Peck said the team is ready to come home and play strong again.\n"We hate to lose at home, and we lost to Michigan State, which hasn't happened in a while," Peck said. "The second we lost there (at home) we had motivation to come out strong this week."\nIU will take on Michigan Friday and Ferris State Saturday. Both games start at 7:30 p.m. at Frank Southern Arena.