Team takes trophy, individual honors

Hoosiers end fall season on winning note

The first half of the Hoosiers' season could not have been scripted any better. The Hoosiers return from Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. with the championship trophy of the Mission Inn Classic. \nNot only did the team capture their second championship of the year, but the top three individual scores of the tournament belonged to IU as well. Junior Karen Dennison, the No. 4 ranked golfer in the nation, captured her third title of the year. Junior Danah Ford recorded her highest finish of her career by placing second, and senior Cara Stuckey also achieved her highest finish of her career, placing third. The Hoosiers fired a final round 310 to finish the tournament with a combined 614, 19 strokes ahead of Big Ten rival Wisconsin.\nAfter Monday's first round, Dennison had built up a five stroke lead while shooting 2-under par. She struggled for most of her final round, but was able to par the final five holes to hold off Ford by one stroke. Dennison finished the tournament with a total of 149 (5-over par). \n"I started pretty good today, but began to struggle a bit on the back nine," Dennison said. "I got myself into some trouble, and couldn't make birdies to cancel out the bogeys I was making. I kept my confidence though, and I am just really proud of this team right now."\nThe individual win for Dennison marks the first time a Hoosier has won back-to-back titles since Erin Carney back in the spring of 1999. Dennison continues to add her name into the Hoosier record book as she now joins a host of Hoosier All-Americans with three wins in a season. Erika Wicoff won five events in three consecutive years, while Carney and LPGA Tour star Michele Redman each won four. Dennison currently stands tied with Sarah DeKraay at three wins.\nFord shot a final round 74 to accompany her first round 76, to put her at 150 for the tournament. Ford's second place finish tops her previous career high of sixth-place, which she achieved three weeks ago at the Lady Northern Intercollegiate. \nStuckey's final round score of 73 catapulted her into a third place finish, topping her previously high career best finish when she tied for ninth at the 2002 Hawkeye Invitational. \nCoach Sam Carmichael applauded both Ford and Stuckey's career best performances.\n"I am really proud of Danah and Cara," he said. "They had some great scores on a tough golf course. Danah was an absolute warrior today."\nThe team entered the final round with a 12-stroke lead, and did not want to repeat the costly final rounds that lost them chances at wins at the Lady Northern Intercollegiate and the Shootout at the Legends. \n"We knew we had to finish strong today and win our last tournament," Ford said. "I think the lead we had coming in helped us a little, but we remained focused throughout the day and got the win."\nDennison said the success the team has achieved this fall will be crucial to how they go into the spring season.\n"I have been fortunate enough to win three tournaments this fall, but the fact that our team is winning is key," Dennison said. "This win really helps us to finish on a good note and only gives us more confidence for the spring."\nRounding out the Hoosier squad was junior Ambry Bishop who shot a 164, and finished tied for 33rd and freshman Molly Redfearn who carded a 170 and finished tied for 55th place. The Hoosiers bettered their 36-hole score from last year's Mission Inn Classic by 19 strokes. \nComing off one of the most successful fall seasons in school history, IU will look to keep the momentum going into the spring. The Hoosiers return to the links February 24 to 25, 2003, at the Central District Invitational in Parrish, Fla.