Another in-state test for IU

Mixed emotions for forward, seniors playing Butler in their final home game

Tonight the IU women's soccer team finishes its regular season at Bill Armstrong Stadium against Butler at 7 p.m. The game also marks senior night, the last home game for the seniors who will be competing in their first Big Ten tournament next week. \nThe game figures to be intensely emotional as the seniors have expressed feelings of sadness as well as exhilaration in these final days of the season.\n"I have mixed feelings, it's been a good season and I'm tired, but then again, I never want it to end because I know this is my last season," senior tri-captain and forward Kristen Sprunger said. "For me, I think out there everything will count because it will be one of the last times I get to do it: Every run, every pass."\nThe contest has an added dimension because senior tri-captain and midfielder Kara Bryan transferred from Butler following her sophomore season. Bryan had two outstanding seasons as a Bulldog including a nod as Midwestern Collegiate Conference co-player of the year as a sophomore. But, Bryan left for IU to encounter tougher competition in the Big Ten. She said playing her final home game against her former teammates and coach is going to stir up a lot of motivation to play well and finish strongly.\n"I have a lot of mixed emotions about it," Bryan said. "I'm really excited and I think to end my college career and my final senior game there isn't another team that I'd rather play than Butler."\nThe Hoosiers said they would take it up a notch to ensure Bryan's former squad goes home beaten. \n"It's Butler and they're a good team, and it's our senior night and they're going to try to ruin it for us. We can't let that happen," Bryan said. "I'm for sure not going to let Butler beat us at home on my senior night."\nMoreover, there's the added pressure of ending the season with sufficient momentum to bolster a victorious postseason. \n"The Butler game is huge for us because we really need to end the season on a positive note," Bryan said. "We can't have a let down game. Butler should be a confidence builder for us."\nButler (12-4-0) is just one win away from tying their school record in wins that they set last season. Coach Mick Lyon does not want the Bulldogs to break records at his team's expense.\n"We need to come out to win the game," Lyon said. "Butler has had a very good year. I am sure the enthusiasm and confidence is high amongst their team."\nThe Hoosiers are focused on beating Butler, but the Big Ten Tournament and a first round match-up with host Michigan State lurks in the back of their minds. Fortunately, it's a source of excitement rather than fear.\n"Making the tournament is definitely the icing on the cake," Sprunger said. "Especially being my last season and I've never been there, it's incredible. I'm very excited about that." Sprunger added that the team is ready to show their conference mates the formidable force the Hoosiers can be. \nLyon said his seniors decided from the start of the season to step up their play in order to reach new heights of achievement. \n"I'm very thankful to them," Lyon said. "The attitude, the effort, and the patience that they've demonstrated this year has been outstanding. They are without doubt a big reason for why we've had success this year."\nBryan commented on the complete turnaround the team has made from last year's ninth place conference finish to now. \n"This team has done a 360," Bryan said. "Everyone's attitude and work ethic has really paid off."\nThe game can be heard on WIUS 1570-AM at 7 p.m.