On the sidelines

Wood sets record against Brewers\nKerry Wood tied a major league record with four strikeouts in one inning Monday, doing it in the fourth inning of the second game in a doubleheader against the Milwaukee Brewers.\nAfter Matt Stairs grounded out to start the inning, Wood struck out Jose Hernandez. But catcher Todd Hundley's throw to first was way off and Hernandez got all the way to third on the error. Ryan Thompson followed with a swinging strikeout.\nPaul Bako struck out, but reached base when Wood's wild pitch skipped in the dirt and away from Hundley. Pitcher Andrew Lorraine then struck out swinging to end the inning.\nWood is the third Cubs pitcher to strike out four in one inning. Jim Davis did it in St. Louis on May 27, 1956, and Bill Bonham did it against Montreal on July 31, 1974.\nSchumacher wins in U.S. Nationals\nTony Schumacher raced to his second Top Fuel victory of the season Monday in the NHRA's U.S. Nationals.Schumacher also claimed his second career trophy in the world's most prestigious drag race by defeating season-long dominator Larry Dixon in the final round. Schumacher powered his dragster to a performance of 4.663 seconds at 315.93 mph. Dixon lost traction near mid-track and posted a 5.161 at 240.29. "What an incredible day," said Schumacher after his seventh career victory. "Indy is a race you wait for all year. To win Indy is incredible and to win it two times in three years is unbelievable. My father has won this race and his team has had a lot of success here. I'm just glad we won it again."\nNFL sack king Michael Strahan gets new deal\nDefensive player of the year Michael Strahan agreed to a seven-year, $46 million deal on Monday that will allow the NFL's single-season sack holder to end his career with the New York Giants.\nThe deal came three days before the Giants' season opener against the San Francisco 49ers and just six months after an angry Strahan declared that this would be his final season with the team after a proposed $56 million deal fell apart. "I am very happy I will be in New York and that I am going to stay here," Strahan said at a hastily called news conference. "I feel great to know this is where I started my career and this is where I will finish my career." The 30-year-old Strahan will receive a $6.4 million signing bonus. A total of $20.9 million of the contract will be guaranteed over the next three seasons.