Hoosiers to face Hawkeyes at home

After dual meet tie, team looks to boost their chemistry

Coming off their first dual meet tie since the 1990-1991 season, the women's swimming and diving team is looking to continue its improvement in today's match-up against Iowa at the Counsilman/Billingsley Aquatic Center at 5 p.m. The Hoosiers are ranked No. 17 by the College Swim Coaches Association of America and bring a 1-0-1 overall record into the meet with an 0-0-1 record in Big Ten duals. Iowa comes to Bloomington with an 0-1 record in both overall and Big Ten competition.\n"The way we plan out our season, we like to at least make an attempt to get a little bit better each meet," said head swimming coach Dorsey Tierney.\nTierney said she especially wants to see the Hoosiers focus on team chemistry and have their leaders establish themselves in the meet against the Hawkeyes.\n"From a team standpoint, we still need to gel a little bit better," she said. "We still have quite a bit of development as far as team chemistry is concerned. We also need to have the leaders step forward on a more consistent and numerous basis."\nSeniors Susan Woessner, Erin Rice and juniors Megan Ryther, Anne Williams and Tina Gretlund were mentioned by Tierney as upperclassmen who she expects take on leadership roles with the squad this year. Tierney also noted that junior Brooke Taflinger and freshman Erin Smith have gained the respect of their teammates through their work ethic and have established themselves as swimmers the team can count on.\nTaflinger has already posted times in IU's all-time top ten in the 200- yard freestyle, 500-free, 200-individual medley and the 400-IM. But the sophomore native of Kokomo said she is still doing lots of training and targeting areas that have been problems in the past.\n"Look back on our events, we each can pick out something that we did wrong," Taflinger said. "We have to pick on the little things and get those right. We have to keep our mindset focused on what we have to do and stay positive."\nWith similar goals in mind, the diving team heads into the Iowa meet looking for improvement from it's showing at the Northwestern dual tie.\n"We are pretty much training right through meets with two-a-days all week and then competing on Friday evening," head diving coach Dr. Jeff Huber said. "We want to see improvement from the last meet and from what I have seen in practice, I think we will look better."\nJunior Sara Reiling will be back on the boards in competition for the Hoosiers for the first time since the 1999-2000 season. Reiling redshirted last season while competing in the 2000 Summer Olympic Games in Sydney. In her first meet back, Reiling is looking to try some new dives in her routine, but her real concentration is on the championship season in February and March.\n "I'm working on my dives," Reiling said. "I'm using it as a meet to throw my new dives in and see how they go. But I am looking more to February and March."\n Huber is just looking for Reiling to do the things they have worked on in practice and to see that she can do them in live competition.\n "Even though she hasn't competed yet, she has been training and we have been working on some things in practice," Huber said. "I would like to see those show up in the meet and not disappear just because it is competition"