world

Coalition for transgendered stages first public lobbying event

Intersexed share stories while lobbying in Washington, D.C.

For three days in May, three dozen transgendered individuals took to Capitol Hill to tell their stories. They were stories of heartache, of disappointment and disillusionment, of confusion and stigma. \nThey were stories of rejection, of constant inner struggles waged daily. \nYet they were stories that deserved to be recounted, and that was precisely the aim of the National Transgender Advocacy Coalition in its first public organized lobbying event. Deeming the transgender phenomenon as "little-known" and "widely misunderstood." NTAC leaders hoped to familiarize Congress with the plight of the intersexed, individuals born with both male and female genitalia. \nThe group was met with resounding support from members of Congress, many of whom were shocked to hear the lobbyists' tales. According to event organizer Vanessa Edwards Foster, over 474 educational packets were distributed. Every office in the Senate was covered, and more than 2/3 of the representatives' offices received information as well.\nFoster herself experienced positive feedback upon visiting Rep. Jan Schakowsky's office (D-IL), along with first-time lobbyist Janis Stone. Legislative Aide Reva Gupta invited the women in for to talk.\n"This is an issue I will be covering in this office, and I really had limited information on it," Gupta said. She thanked the lobbyists for stopping by, deeming their visit "just what (I) needed."\nIn fact, numerous Congressional representatives and Senators invited lobbyists into their personal offices to hear their testimonies and were moved by what they heard.\n"There's certainly a need for education within Congress on these issues, and in fact that's just what's being done," said Scott Dunaway, Office Manager for Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX).\nNTAC Secretary Anne Casebeer said the information gathered by the effort will be immediately utilized by lobbyists as they continue the fight to raise awareness of transgender issues. \nFoster noted that while lobbyist turnout was not as high as expected, the "productivity and (our) impact surpassed expectations."\nNTAC Board Chairman Yosenio Lewis said many congressional staffers attested to the group's diverse makeup and lauded the accurate representation of the transgender population. \n"NTAC distinguished itself by presenting lobbyists from all socio-economic, racial, age and physical ability strata on all levels of transgender and transsexual experience," Lewis said. He said the group will be increasing its visibility through additional lobbying efforts in coming months.