Hoosiers stay home, look to stay undefeated

Last weekend might have changed the minds of those who doubted the IU women's tennis team. The Hoosiers are 6-0 on the season, fresh off an upset of 13th-ranked Notre Dame.\n"A lot of girls don't think we're as strong we know we can be," said sophomore Linda Tran, who plays No. 1 doubles with junior Karie Schlukebir. "After last weekend, we proved we can compete with top teams."\nUnlike last weekend, IU is not the underdog this weekend when they face Marquette and Butler Saturday. After being on the road last weekend against Ball State and Notre Dame, IU is back at home. Home or not, IU players are taking little for granted.\n"We'll be favored," said senior Amanda Field -- IU's No. 1 singles player, regarding this weekend's match-ups. "It's difficult to be the one expected to win. That will be the challenge this weekend."\nThe other challenge will be overcoming a shortened roster. IU has five healthy players of the eight listed on their roster. There are six singles slots to be filled. In other words, IU will have to default one singles match, and they could suffer in doubles play as well.\nAlthough sophomores Christina Solli, who has been plagued by injury and seen limited action throughout her college career; J.J. Levin, who has been recovering from shoulder surgery; and Martina Grimm, who sustained a shoulder injury this week will be missed, past scores indicate that the healthy quintet of Field, Tran, Schukelbir, Inga Radel and Dominika Walterova should be able to pick up the slack.\nIn its first six matches, IU gave up only five team points (of a possible 42), and has shut out three opponents. Though there should be some close matches this weekend -- including a No. 1 matchup between Field and Marquette's Jen Charron (who has played Field tight, eventually losing, in their two previous meetings), it is not out of the realm of possibility that IU would sweep five singles matches against 1-3 Marquette or 0-1 Butler.\nCoach Lin Loring said his club has one goal: "Improve as a team." \nNo numbers, no scores, just a prescription that, through constant application, would help his team prepare for the Big Ten conference schedule which looms in the not-too-distant future.\n"We're getting better each week," Field said. "We have the talent to be competitive," she said, speaking of national and Big Ten competition.\nAction resumes at home Saturday against the Golden Eagles of Marquette at 10 a.m. and the Butler Bulldogs at 3 p. m.