Book provides tips for young investors

The back cover of "Early to Ri$e" claims it is a book everyone younger than 25 should read. I disagree. The caption should have read "a book that some high school and a few college students should read."\nSo why is this book being reviewed? Because its author, Michael Stahl, is a teenager from Leawood, Kansas. At age 17, Michael has written a book, established investment clubs and met with Warren Buffett (a well-known investor). And Stahl tells readers his portfolio of stocks has returned 500 percent per year, for the past two years.\nStahl is quick to point out that he does not invest in dot-com stocks and will not invest in companies that sell tobacco. One of his main points is to invest in companies you know and understand, conducting thorough research before making an investment. \n"Early to Ri$e" is a 252-page book written to serve as a valuable resource for new and young investors. The book covers topics such as mutual funds, stocks, research tools, investment clubs and various types of brokerages. The book points out that it is necessary to save money and make wise credit and spending decisions at a young age. It also discusses the benefits of compounding interest and says that investing early in life can lead to increased gains in the future. It provides data and various definitions associated with investing. \nOne aspect of the book that adds to its value is that it contains a lengthy appendix and index. This means the book can be read straight through or consulted for a quick question. For beginning investors, the book can serve as a quick reference guide.\nThe main problem with "Early to Ri$e" is that most of the information it covers can be found on the Internet -- for free. In fact, throughout the book readers are directed to check out some of Stahl's favorite sites. And the book often repeats itself and appears to deliver the same information in different chapters.\nFor beginning investors, who have some idea about the markets, it might be a better idea to watch CNBC and read the business section of the paper than to purchase "Early to Ri$e." I recommend saving the money and doing some research on the Internet. \nFor investors who have no idea about stocks and investment related topics, "Early to Ri$e" might provide a great starting point for making financial decisions. The book is easy to read and can be a handy reference resource.