Time change would be pointless

Indiana is one of only three states that don't recognize daylight-saving time. Neither do Arizona and Hawaii. Because these states don't fit into a specific time zone, the business community wants them to conform to the rest of the country and adopt daylight-saving time. Every year, a bill comes before the Indiana General Assembly to adopt daylight-saving time, and every year it fails. \nOriginally, Indiana opted not to join the daylight-saving time movement in 1966 because the many farmers liked the benefits of the sun rising early and drying the fields, rather than having that extra hour of daylight in the evening. Farmers still object to the concept, adding a concern about missing community events in the evening because they would be working the fields during that extra evening hour of daylight. Other objectors include owners of businesses, such as restaurants and movie theaters, who say darkness helps business. \nThese people will be hurt if Indiana sets its collective clock back an hour. Who is being hurt by the current situation? The Hoosier Daylight Coalition, the organization spearheading this movement, told The New York Times, "Wall Street and Silicon Valley investors never know what time it is." Surely they didn't make it to Wall Street and Silicon Valley without being able to tell time and count? \nIt's not that difficult to determine what time it is here in relation to the rest of the world. Haven't Indiana residents been doing it for years? Television schedules, flight departure and arrival times, and many other things are affected by time zones. How is it any more difficult to calculate what time it is here than it is to calculate what time it is in, say, Calcutta? \nWhy should Indiana change a long-standing tradition of being the exception to the rule because some people can't add or subtract? The answer is simple: We shouldn't. Change in the name of progress is great, but change for the sake of change is pointless.