A cappella groups resurging

A cappella music is not only making a comeback, but also a name for the University.\nMost people have probably heard of Straight No Chaser, but not everyone is aware of two other a cappella groups making waves at IU, Ladies First and Delusions of Grandeur.\nThe women of Ladies First recently took first place at one of three Midwest quarterfinals in the International Championships of Collegiate A Cappella at Penn State. They also took first runner-up for best arrangement for their version of "It's Rainin' Men"; first runner-up for best vocalist, senior Caroline DeLima for "Ready to Run" and best vocalist, sophomore Lauren Orenga, for "At Last."\nThe group will compete March 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave., against five other finalists from around the Midwest. One of the six groups will be chosen to advance to the finals in New York City.\nSenior Molly Logan said she feels a strong sense of pride and fulfillment in the group's recent honor. \n"When the judge announced our name, I felt an incredible rush of emotions -- excitement, surprise and overwhelming satisfaction," she said. "All of our hard work paid off and we were able to show all of Penn State, but most importantly ourselves, what we were able to do."\nUnder the direction of senior Nora Colwell, Ladies First has thrived as one of the first female a cappella groups at IU. The group started in March 1999, as Natalie Perkins and Sarah Gibson began contacting Walter Shilanskas, former director of Straight No Chaser, about their desire to bring a women's a cappella group to campus.\nWith Shilanskas' assistance and Perkins' and Gibson's persistence, 10 girls were chosen in April 1999. Now the group consists of 12 members who sing anything from oldies to R&B. First called "Amphion," the women decided a catchier title was in order and thought "Ladies First" was appropriate.\nColwell said not all members in the group are music majors, but each rehearsal is a learning experience for the girls to strengthen their talent and music skills.\n"A cappella singing is mostly about listening; you don't have to be able to read music to do it," she said.\nMen's group Delusions of Grandeur recently competed at Penn State with Ladies First and members said they are proud of the ladies taking first. The groups are supportive of each other and occasionally practice for each other and ask for input.\nDelusions of Grandeur originated in 1995 and recently made its comeback.\nUnder the direction of senior John Flower, known as "Dad" to the members of the group, Delusions of Grandeur has soared to new heights. They said they refer to Flower as "Dad" because he is the oldest member of the group and they look up to him.\nAlthough the group consists of only five members, members said they don't look at their small numbers as an obstacle. Delusions of Grandeur member Todd Gallet, a sophomore, said he is confident in the group and its abilities. \n"For the people that think they know what a cappella music is on this campus, they haven't heard us yet," he said.\nThe men rehearse from two to five times a week and sing anything from oldies to Boyz II Men. Rehearsals are not only an opportunity for the guys to exercise their talent, but also an opportunity to have fun, they said.\n"Being in DOG gives us the chance to explore our musical horizons while making memories and friendships that will last forever," Mickey Seidenstein, a sophomore, said.\nDelusions of Grandeur will compete March 24 at the Harmony Sweepstakes in Chicago. On average, it competes one or two times a year. April will mark its fourth year participating in Acappellooza, an opportunity for music fans to hear all three of the a cappella groups on campus. \nFor further information about upcoming Ladies First shows or to order tickets, contact iuladies@indiana.edu.