Opie Taylor's should fix flaws

Opie Taylor's, 212 N. Walnut St., calls itself a Bloomington tradition, and indeed it is. The atmosphere is perfect for grabbing a burger and a beer while you watch ESPN. But it won't be the best burger in town, by any means.\nWe were seated on stools at a high table, which was somewhat wobbly. We found that to eat, we had to do a balancing act, of sorts. \nBut the restaurant was neat and tidy, and the atmosphere was pleasant. \nOur service was satisfactory, but not exemplary. Although the restaurant was not busy, we were sometimes left with empty drinks. But our specific requests were answered quickly and courteously, and our orders were delivered correctly.\nAppetizer\nAs a starter, we ordered chips and salsa for $2.50. A large basket of yellow and brownish-purple chips came served with a Styrofoam cup of salsa, which was of medium spiciness. The chips tasted relatively fresh.\nOther appetizer options include beer battered onion rings, French fries and "Macho Nachos." Diners can also opt for Opie Taylor's "famous homestyle chili," which it makes "top-quality like no one else can do," the menu claims. Appetizer prices range from $2.05 for a half order of French fries to $5.50 for a Cajun chicken and Caesar salad.\nEntrees\nWe sampled a Cajun Burger with cheese, for $4.75. It was extremely spicy and hot; we don't recommend eating this without a full drink. It is sure to satisfy any hunger pang. We ordered the burger with a side of fries, which could have been cooked just a bit more. But we loved the burger, and couldn't have asked for anything more zesty. \nThe Bacon Bleu Cheese Burger, at $5.40, does not earn such rave reviews. Although the bleu cheese dressing had an excellent flavor, it was so runny that it dripped out of the sandwich. The bacon was overcooked, as was the hamburger patty. The toppings were fresh, and the burger and side of potato chips were in generous portions. Sadly, the saving grace of this entree, the bleu cheese sauce, ended up all over the bottom of the basket, making it much less enjoyable. \nOur companion sampled the bacon-chicken-cheese sandwich, for $5.45. The presentation was appetizing, but the sauces on this sandwich also dripped out, and it was a messy meal. The bacon was burnt and the chicken had only one flavor -- char. But the meat was still somewhat juicy, and the vegetables appeared fresh and healthy.\nOur companion thought the fries were served at just the right temperature, and was pleased that the fries were more potato and less batter.\nOpie Taylor's offers more than just hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. The menu also includes a variety of double-decker sandwiches, hot dogs, tenderloin sandwiches, barbeque and even a veggie burger.\nDessert\nWe would have sampled some dessert, but Opie Taylor's only offers cookies, which were in short supply. There were two cookies, and five of us, so we passed on this option. \nOverall\nOpie Taylor's is a pleasant place, but should work on the fact that its meat seems universally overcooked. Some thicker sauces, with a bit more staying power, would drastically improve the quality of its sandwiches.\nWe were satisfied with our meal, despite these problems. We hope the restaurant can fix these flaws and continue its long Bloomington tradition.