Diverse art exhibit entertains the eye

Rome fell. End of story. The classics are often said to be dead, but the collection of Diether Thimme at the IU Art Museum stands to prove the cliche wrong.\nThe collection, "An Ancient Muse: Classical Themes in Old Master and Modern Prints from the Thimme Collection," opened Saturday at the Art Museum. It includes a variety of works from not only traditional Renaissance engravers, but also from Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse. \nClassical artifacts provided direct inspiration for Renaissance artists, but modern artists are also moved by the ancient muse. The classics are alive and have a place in newer techniques, such as cubism and surrealism.\nIncluded in the collection is French cubist Henri Laurens, who renders classically inspired works in simple shapes and basic colors. Andre Masson's interpretation of the Hesperides -- nymphs who lived in a garden near Mount Atlas -- is reflective of Masson's surrealist style, using thick strokes in a color lithograph to suggest the female figure. \nThese modern representations add another dimension to the classical works, but some of the most fascinating works are the traditional Renaissance engravings in the Ancient Sites portion of Thimme's collection. These works, mostly by Italian artists Giovanni Castiglione and Giovanni Piranesi, and Flemish artist Philip Galle, combine the genius and imagination of each artist in their depictions of real and imagined ancient creations. \nGerard de Jode's four engravings are spectacular. The skillfully crafted scenes incorporate the morality of the classical myths, combining them with more Christian morals that were prominent in his time. For example, "Aeneas escaping Troy" depicts Aeneas ensuring that his family escapes instead of taking the riches of Troy.\nIn addition to Thimme's collection, a special exhibition, "The Fine Art of Conservation: An Homage to Danae Thimme" is featured at the museum. This exhibit provides a look at the conservation process of ancient art and the legacy of the late Danae Thimme, wife of Diether, who conserved the museum's antiquities for 28 years. From just a few fragments, Thimme revitalized ancient artifacts and brought them back to life, so that they could be seen and inspire future generations. \nThimme restored one vase by inserting the few remaining fragments into an artificial vase that she used as a base. But her restoration was not limited to ceramics. She also restored jewelry, mosaics and marble, and bronze and terra-cotta sculptures. Using the skull of King Midas, she reconstructed, in clay, what his head and face would have looked like.\nThe exhibit is as diverse as it is inspiring. It seeks to prove that, even today, the classics are a part of art and everyday life. \nThe exhibit runs through March 4 at the IU Art Museum, open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.