A birth of a magazine

Student poetry magazine to release latest issue

Evan Tobias and Adam Pieroni might have begun a literary movement in Bloomington, but they seem to be lost for words on their newest endeavor. \nWhat started as a simple poetry reading in honor of the latest edition of the literary magazine, Cocked and Ready, has developed into a release party so complicated it can't be named, said senior Tobias, co-editor and founder of the magazine.\n"(The party) is a free-for-all," Tobias said. "It's going to combine all the arts of Bloomington for free." \nThe multimedia extravaganza will include open mic poetry readings and live music, and will showcase artwork, photography, film and a slideshow. The event kicks off at 7 p.m. Friday at the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St.\nFeatured musicians will include Das Spooky, Sabotuers, Matt Meehan and Mike Dickson. \nThe party will celebrate both the latest issue of the magazine and its latest goal, said senior Pieroni, Cocked and Ready's co-editor and founder.\n"We want to bridge the gap between music and poetry," Pieroni said. "They are so similar, it's just natural to link them." \nFor the first time, the magazine includes a spoken word and music CD in addition to its literary content. \nCocked and Ready began last year when Tobias and Pieroni saw potential in the poetry scene in Bloomington but were not satisfied with the current publications.\nTo improve the publication's quality, Tobias and Pieroni decided to work with the authors, editing and refining the works they publish. The magazine's third edition contains writing by 11 authors and a bonus 14-track CD. The issue features topics ranging from prostitutes to celibacy, from divorce to parents. \nMary Elizabeth Davis, a senior majoring in journalism and English, heard about the publication through an English class. Three pages of the magazine are now devoted to her poetry. \n"It's a venue that students can go to aside from what the English department publishes," she said. "It's good to get my poetry out for people around campus and around town to read." \nOther people seem to feel the same way, judging from the overwhelming response to the new issue, Pieroni said. \n"In the first week we have already had a better response than we had for the last issues combined," Pieroni said. "We restock daily." \nThe publication's circulation has reached 1,000. \nCocked and Ready is funded by the Collins Living-Learning Center and is free. The magazines are available at coffee shops, music stores and bookstores downtown and at Collins Center and the School of Fine Arts. \nDavis said she is looking forward to the promotional party.\n"It's something different that people can go to and enjoy," Davis said. "I plan on being there." \nCocked and Ready is accepting submissions of poetry, fiction and visual art for the next issue. E-mail Tobias at eftobias@indiana.edu and Pieroni at apieroni@indiana.edu for more information.\nThe poetry reading and concert is free and open to the public.