Pumpkins shake up Metro

Last performance draws 1,100 fans to Chicago

CHICAGO -- In a year that has seen numerous rock bands fold, with nary a note to be heard again except in the ever-present future box set, The Smashing Pumpkins held court one final time in the club that gave them the first of many big breaks, the Metro. \nIn what is sure to be hailed as legendary, the band stepped up to the plate in the 1,100-capacity club down the street from Wrigley Field and delivered an energetic, passionate and emotional four and a half-hour swan song, putting closure on a storied 12-year career.\nNever known for aiming too low, the show was broken up into three separate acts, with a clown taking the stage with posters announcing the next act during intermissions. The first set began with the soaring guitars of "Rocket" and from there lead singer Billy Corgan and the band navigated through material spanning the range of its career, from first ever single "I am One" to "I of the Mourning" from Machina/the Machines of God. \nThe second set gave the time and space for contemplative introspection, as the band came out, acoustics in hand. Stripped down and moving renditions of "Muzzle" and "This Time" left the crowd in awe. After a haunting performance of "Thirty-Three" it was time for the third and final act, "Let it all come down."\nAnd it did. From the start of the synth strings of "Tonight, Tonight" The Smashing Pumpkins let out a ferocious set of pure rock power. From the psychedelic swirling guitars on "Siva" and "Starla" to the hard rock bombast of "Heavy Metal Machine" the band was leaving nothing behind on the stage. Drummer Jimmy Chamberlin and bassist Melissa Auf der Maur provided a thunderous backdrop, launching the songs into a heavy metal oblivion, as the dual guitars of Corgan and James Iha ripped throughout the set, tight and tuned to perfection. \nComing out for the first encore, Corgan gave a lengthy speech thanking God, before lighting a candle and bringing out his father, Billy Corgan Sr. This led to a heartbreaking take on the elegant "For Martha," a tribute to the singer's mother, who died of cancer in 1996, reuniting the family in spirit. From there, the elder Corgan stepped to the forefront, leading the rest of the band through a ragged but rollicking take on the blues standard "Born Under a Bad Sign."\nCheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen came out for a roaring second encore of "Cherub Rock," which Corgan said was essentially lifted from his power-pop hero, and an acoustic "1979" closed the third encore, with Chamberlin joining in on guitar as former touring drummer Matt Walker helmed the drum kit. \nNavigating its way through a multitude of soft/loud dynamics and numerous improvisational lyrics, the song finally rolled to a close, leaving both the band and the audience exhausted.\nAs the lights came on for good, Corgan stayed on stage, wandering from side to side aimlessly, shaking hands and waving to the crowd. \nThe Smashing Pumpkins have always been at the forefront of rock music, and Saturday's farewell show proved no explanation will ever be needed to explain why. As infamous as Babe Ruth's calling his shot down the street, the band's end was something that will live on in history.