Gala to feature holiday music

Brown County Playhouse showcases 'Broadway Cabaret'

The cast of the All New Broadway Cabaret Holiday Gala will bring the spirit of the season to the Brown County Playhouse this weekend.\nSponsored by the IU Department of Theater, the 11th annual musical revue will include holiday favorites from the 1920s to today. A candlelit rendition of "O Holy Night" will conclude the performance.\nElisa Pokral, director of audience development, said this weekend's performances are a way to share a very small part of what the department does with the community .\n"This is our opportunity to give back to the community, so students and (Bloomington residents) alike can take advantage of the show," she said.\nRobbie Stanton, costume designer, has worked with director George Pinney since the show's inception in 1989. He said the Gala has evolved through the years.\n"The show changes as the group changes," he said. "There are different dynamics. Each year we do a new set of costumes for the actors, and for the first time it's a much smaller group. We're doing individual looks for each person, which allows the performers personality to really come out."\nStanton said he is impressed with the performers.\n"I think it's a wonderful show," he said. "The actors and dancers are extremely talented, and they work extremely hard. You're seeing a show that contains performers who you'll end up seeing on Broadway. They're the cream of the crop."\nThe All New Broadway Cabaret Holiday Gala will be performed at 2:30 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday and at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for students and $5 for children 12 and younger and are available at the IU Auditorium Box Office. For more information, call 855-1103.