Store offers unique, local music

Gravity is a well-known physical property of life on Earth. It's a force so powerful that even skyscrapers of glass and steel can only be built so high. But there's a place where these forces do not apply. \nThere is a place where magazines, CDs and boxes tower far above what physics should allow. This place is TD's CDs & LPs, 322 E. Kirkwood Ave., and, though it disregards the most basic law of physics, is not well known by most people. \n"I know what a CD is, and I know what an LP is, but what is a TD?" Tom Donahue recalls being asked many times when customers enter his store, of which he is the owner and sole employee. \nDonahue laughingly points to himself and watches as the "aha!" look comes to someone's face. \nThe store, which lies in the basement of Kirkwood Manor, is hardly the place one would expect to find such a varied selection of music. Donahue stocks everything from big-label bands such as The Beach Boys to local bands such as Songs: Ohia. \n"He has stuff I've never seen, and a great selection of indie rock," sophomore Dusty Clark said. \nDonahue peers over the top of CDs, which are stacked two feet deep on his sales cubicle, a polite smile on his face as he watches his store. \nDespite the lack of advertising, which consists solely of a small sign outside Kirkwood Manor, there are usually several customers wandering through the aisles, a testament to the word of mouth advertising, which Donahue feels is the best. \n"I'd rather have customers bring in their friends," Donahue said, adding that the responses from advertising never seem to equal the investments. \nTD's is successful because of the availability of the music. TD's carries music from local artists that can't be found anywhere else in town, and if Donahue can't find a specific CD in the store, then he will always have it ordered for a customer. \n"If you can't find it at TD's, you can't find it in Bloomington," Clark, a regular customer, said.\nDonahue is highly involved in Bloomington's music scene, in which he sponsors national acts such as The Flaming Lips and Tortoise.\n"(Donahue) energizes the scene with his enthusiasm for music," said Jim Manion, program and music director for WFHB. "He doesn't slow down, he's always up front watching the band." \nMost of the acts he sponsors are local bands playing at the Second Story or the Cellar Lounge. \nOne reason Donahue sponsors so many shows is because he sees it as a form of advertising. People go to the shows and have a good time, and because TD's sponsored the show, they might decide to stop by the store. \nBut The biggest reason is Donahue's passion for the music scene, and not just in Bloomington. Donahue has been involved in various musical outlets in Indianapolis and Austin, Texas. \n"I try to support the local musicians as much as possible because that makes the whole music scene here in Bloomington stronger," Donahue said. \nDonahue contributes from his own pocket as much as possible to strengthen the music scene in Bloomington. The budget for last year's Flaming Lips show was $10,000. Since the show took place during Easter weekend, Donahue shouldered a $500 loss. It's worth it to Donahue since he doesn't see this as just entertainment. To him, supporting local shows can benefit the tourism business in Bloomington.\n"If you get more local bands doing well, then it's going to be better for the entire music scene in general, and it will be better for Bloomington," Donahue said. \nAs far as the future of the store, Donahue is taking it slow. He has no concrete plans for the store other than to keep serving his customers in the best way he knows how. The only change Donahue sees as a possibility now is to get a cash register or maybe even a computer.