Student Web site open for business

At www.iuexchange.com, a student-run Web site that opened Aug. 15, students are given the chance to buy and sell textbooks, CDs, sports equipment, tickets, cars and a list of other items. \nStudents can place what they would like to sell on the site, and then those who are interested would bid on the item ' in essence an online auction. Junior informatics major, Pete Sanidas is credited for coming up with the idea.\n"I saw this as a way to fill needs that needed to be met, and I am always thinking of things like that," Sanidas said. "Doing things like this is what I do and what I want to do in the future."\nThis site is not affiliated or associated with IU and there is no fee for using this service. There are additional fees, which are optional, only for the enhancement of selling products. \nStudents can pay with their credit card or have an invoice mailed to them with the amount they owe. \n"We have very good software from the same company that does Bidbay, which is competitors with ebay," Sanidas said. "There will never be an issue with us of not being able to handle transactions."\nThe inspiration for this site was the idea of being able to buy and sell old textbooks, junior Chris Brunt said. He also helped in developing and working on this site.\n"We are fed up with paying ridiculous prices and selling our books back for a ridiculous price," Brunt said.\n"This site can be useful to everyone in Bloomington, and people will benefit from it, but we want to keep this local," he said.\nThere has been a lot of time, effort and dedication put into this site and Brunt is a little overwhelmed by it all.\n"It has been a lot more work than I thought it would be, especially now that school has started, but I am still glad I did it," he said.\nStudents are excited about trying out the site.\n"It seems really good because bookstores screw you," freshman Erin Jeffery said. "I totally would consider using it, especially if you would get more money for your books than from the bookstore."\nSophomore Janel Kobi is a little uncertain about the site.\n"I would be doubtful until the first time I used it and saw how it works, because the bookstore is more of a sure thing when you need books in a crunch," Kobi said. "However, if it becomes a secure transaction and saves you money then I would try it."\nThe future for www.iuexchange.com looks promising as long as people use it.\n"There is no reason we are ever going to shut down unless new technologies come along and make it obsolete," Sanidas said.