world

Conditions offer hope for imprisoned American

During the past five years, Mark and Rhoda Berenson have been spreading the word about their daughter, Lori Berenson, 30. \nBerenson was arrested in 1995 in Peru after she was accused of being a ringleader in the Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement, a pro-Cuban terrorist group, according to the parents' Web site. \nLast month Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori announced new elections, and the nation's highest military court overturned Berenson's sentence. The court ordered a new civilian trial, underscoring the political currents affecting the case.\nThe Rev. Jesse Jackson met with Fujimori earlier in New York City on Berenson's behalf, according to the New York Times. He urged Fujimori to release her and pledged to meet with her. A week later, the Berenson family reported that Berenson had completed 14 hours of testimony. \nThe Associated Press reported Sept. 16 that Fujimori announced new elections will be held in six months and that he won't run. The announcement was made after a videotape began circulating around Lima showing Vladimiro Montesinos-- Fujimori's right hand man and the chief of Peru's National Intelligence Agency -- allegedly bribing an opposition lawmaker. \nFujimori sent a plan to Congress last week to disband the spy agency and, according to Associated Press reports, Montesinos fled the country the following day. \nWhat the future holds for Berenson is still unclear, but some believe her case has been a political one from the start. According to her father, Fujimori gained support in this year's election by calling Berenson a murderous American terrorist. Fujimori went on national television in 1995 waving Berenson's passport after her arrest. \nThe strategy appears to be working in Peru with people talking about the case. Jessica Abel, a senior studying abroad in Peru during the semester said, "A cab driver a couple of weeks ago seemed to think she (Berenson) is very guilty as charged. 'They found guns in her house,' he told me. This is the sentiment I have found. People seem to think she is guilty."\nThe U.S. Congress has also been paying attention. \n"Two hundred and fifty of the (435) Congressional Representatives support Lori's release either by withholding all but humanitarian aid to Peru or by urging President Clinton to use all his powers to secure Lori's release," Mark Berenson said. \n"Lori can't receive a fair trial in Peru. For Peru, the most important thing is getting this trial over with in 30-50 days," he said.\nThe resignation of Montesinos and the call for new and fair elections have brought continuous demonstrations to the streets of Lima. \n"People rejoiced in the streets for three days straight after 'El Chino's' announcement on Saturday night. People are very happy. They have been demanding change for a long time and this is obviously a positive step in that direction," Abel said.\nAfter last Saturday's epic announcement of new elections, Mark Berenson sent out a newsletter to all of Lori's supporters urging them to contact President Bill Clinton and have him secure Berenson's release.