Jordan River Forum

I would like to bring to the attention of the IDS the fact that harassment of disabled students occurs regularly at IU Bloomington. I personally know of physically impaired students who have been harassed in Ballantine Hall for taking the elevator up or down one floor.  And they aren’t just harassed by fellow students; faculty and staff are guilty, too.  Just because someone looks healthy, doesn’t mean that they are.  Invisible disabilities are any of a number of chronic conditions that significantly impair normal activities of daily living while showing no outward signs of the illness. I also know of a physically impaired student who was made fun of recently for riding a scooter in Forest Residence Center.  This is a student who can barely walk—and only for short distances—and only when feeling physically up to it. This same student was also harassed in the Forest parking lot by someone who didn’t think a handicap parking space should be used by a disabled student, even though the appropriate IU parking permit was displayed in the car.  Harassment may be reported to the IU Incident Teams at  (812) 855-8188 or incident@indiana.edu. I mention these incidents because they happened to students I know.  And if they can happen to them, they can happen to anyone.  I ask the entire campus community: How would you feel if someone you cared about was ridiculed or harassed because they had a disability?  How does it feel to learn that members of the campus community, whether you know them or not, have to deal with harassment at IU Bloomington on a daily basis? I urge us all to think before speaking, show some Hoosier compassion, and offer to help instead of contributing to an intolerant environment.  I also urge the IDS to investigate and report on the harassment of disabled students on this campus. As an IU alumna, IU employee, and IU parent, I hate to think of Indiana University’s reputation being tarnished by charges of harassment of any kind. Melissa Thorne Bloomington

Aug 18, 2014 10:48 pm

It's 1984 in Ferguson

Over the past week, eyes around the world have been on Ferguson, Mo., and police action being taken in the town. 

Apr 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Landlord abuse

We have experienced bullying from our landlord. And we’ve had enough.

Apr 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Child abuse in Indiana

About 80 percent of the substantiated acts of child abuse and neglect in Indiana are committed by parents or family members.

Apr 2, 2014 12:00 am

Restoring faculty governance at IU

You can’t expect a bunch of faculty to agree about much, but the main goal on which we concur is the renewal of an intellectually rich culture of governance.

Apr 2, 2014 12:00 am

Leggings are pants

We don’t go around shaming people for wearing tight shirts, so we shouldn’t  go around shaming them for tight pants.

Being that I am a female who attended a public middle school and am now a freshman in college, I completely understand the reason for this change in the dress code. At that age, bodies are changing into their more adult shapes, and boys and girls are discovering their sexuality.

Feb 9, 2010 8:21 pm

Letters

Letters to the editor

Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Van Jones resignation justified

Columnist Matt Straw recently wrote an article in support of former Green Jobs “czar” Van Jones. Straw mentioned that the main reason why some in the media pressured Van Jones to resign: He called Republicans “assholes.” But that was only one of many controversial comments Van Jones has made.

I have been fan of all Hoosier sports for four years now. I am a senior and have attended nearly every football and basketball game, and I can honestly say I love this University. I do have one big concern regarding football.

Sep 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Talking to a socialist

I’m loving IU, but this place is a far cry from Nappanee, Ind.

Apr 26, 2007 12:00 am

Borns should keep up lack of work

OMG, IDS, thanks big time! No really, shut up, really! At first I was all like “what the hell” when I was reading Joanna Borns and her Facebook confession of the crush she has – I mean, whatever, right? Then I’m like, I totally get it. That was bitchin’ clever to write yet another column that’s supposed to be about something but is really all about you and how clever you are!

As soon as I read the headline for Brian Stewart’s column (“Once more unto the breach,” April 24) and the quotation at the beginning (“I am going into the army. . . .”), I thought for sure he had decided to walk the walk he’s been talking all this time and enlist in the Army. But, no. He’s an all-talk chicken-hawk after all, and when his children ask “What did you do in the war on terrorism, Daddy?” he’ll have to tell them “I wrote a column in a college newspaper.” Betty Rose Nagle Associate professor

More Articles »