Re: Girls being punished for their bodies

Though Claire McElwain’s claims to “understand” the reason for school dress codes and what problems might come from them, clearly she doesn’t.
She completely took one public middle school’s dress code change out of context. The change is that wearing leggings, yoga pants, and skinny jeans will be banned on campus during school hours because they are a distraction to young male classmates.

McElwain goes on to basically say that the ban is sexist since males in middle school aren’t penalized for wearing their pants sagged to their knees.
That is completely untrue, uninformed writing.

Being that I am a female who attended a public middle school and am now a freshman in college, I completely understand the reason for this change in the dress code. At that age, bodies are changing into their more adult shapes, and boys and girls are discovering their sexuality.

When I was in eighth grade, the dress code was basic: no midriff, no thigh, no feet, and no butt for boys and girls.

Yet somehow girls found ways to still flaunt their newly sexually pleasing bodies. I am absolutely guilty of wearing tight low-cut tops with push-up bras and tight low-cut jeans. It was my way of accepting myself and getting approval from my male friends.

And the boys were and are required to wear their bottoms with a belt around their waists. I reflect on how ridiculous and immature that was often, and now still dress how I want to, but with class and respect.

Wearing leggings and yoga pants to school is unnecessary and to boys at that age, distracting. It isn’t girls’ faults that we have beautiful bodies, but it is our responsibility to dress appropriately.

The only thing I disagree with in the ban is skinny jeans, because there isn’t anything distracting about them, and they’ve been around for decades.

But to quote McElwain, “Banning any article of clothing altogether is eventually going to leave females with nothing to wear” is the exact opposite of what school administrations are doing.

They’re enforcing that all students wear more clothes than what is being
accepted now.

Taylor Cole

More

LETTER: New arts leader named

I have always had a special affinity for art in places where art “isn’t supposed to be.” Certainly, most of us enjoy an afternoon browsing a gallery or museum, but there is something really nice about finding art in unexpected places.

LETTER: Disability harassment happens on our campus

I would like to bring to the attention of the IDS the fact that harassment of disabled students occurs regularly at IU Bloomington. I personally know of physically impaired students who have been harassed in Ballantine Hall for taking the elevator up or down one floor.  And they aren’t just harassed by fellow students; faculty and staff are guilty, too.  Just because someone looks healthy, doesn’t mean that they are.  Invisible disabilities are any of a number of chronic conditions that significantly impair normal activities of daily living while showing no outward signs of the illness. I also know of a physically impaired student who was made fun of recently for riding a scooter in Forest Residence Center.  This is a student who can barely walk—and only for short distances—and only when feeling physically up to it. This same student was also harassed in the Forest parking lot by someone who didn’t think a handicap parking space should be used by a disabled student, even though the appropriate IU parking permit was displayed in the car.  Harassment may be reported to the IU Incident Teams at  (812) 855-8188 or incident@indiana.edu. I mention these incidents because they happened to students I know.  And if they can happen to them, they can happen to anyone.  I ask the entire campus community: How would you feel if someone you cared about was ridiculed or harassed because they had a disability?  How does it feel to learn that members of the campus community, whether you know them or not, have to deal with harassment at IU Bloomington on a daily basis? I urge us all to think before speaking, show some Hoosier compassion, and offer to help instead of contributing to an intolerant environment.  I also urge the IDS to investigate and report on the harassment of disabled students on this campus. As an IU alumna, IU employee, and IU parent, I hate to think of Indiana University’s reputation being tarnished by charges of harassment of any kind. Melissa Thorne Bloomington