Bloomington South senior Jordan Hulls flicks the ball back to a team mate, not pictured, on a fast break during a game against Detroit Country Day on Saturday in Bloomington. South won 73-67. (James Brosher | IDS)

The gymnasium at Bloomington High School South was filled this afternoon for a contest between No. 4 Detroit Country Day and No. 5 South. For most of the crowd, they got what they paid for: a 73-67 win by the hometown Panthers.

SLIDESHOW: South 73, Country Day 67

IU-bound Jordan Hulls led the way with 27 points on 8-14 shooting from the field (3-7 behind the arc), as well as a perfect eight for eight from the charity stripe. Hulls was certainly not a one-man show, thanks to an 18-point effort by sophomore point guard Dee Davis.

Fellow sophomore Spencer Turner had a fairly quiet showing for the first 31 minutes, making two 3's and sinking three of four from the free throw line. In the last 30.3 seconds, Turner hit five of six free throw, including the last three points of the game.

South led by three after one quarter and jumped to its largest lead of the first half at 23-16.

DCC cut it to two at the half, and took a five-point lead after three periods. The Yellowjackets went ahead 59-51, but Hulls found Davis for two, followed by a Davis steal and layup to cut it to four.

Bloomington South junior Erik Fromm puts up a shot between two Detroit Country Day defenders during a game Saturday in Bloomington. South won 73-67. (James Brosher | IDS)

On the next offensive possession, Hulls missed a three-pointer, got his own rebound and found Davis for another two points. A DCC dunk by DaShonte Riley was followed by a trey from Hulls, coming off a screen, bringing the score to 61-60 DCC.

Hulls was fouled after a missed shot by the Yellowjackets the next time down the court, and sank two free throws to put South ahead, 62-61. A tough lay up by DCC's Ray McCallum, Jr., put the visiting team up by a point, but South closed the game on an 11-4 run to seal it.

South came in ranked as the top team in Indiana's Class 4A, but had a lot to prove against the Michigan private school boasting five guys at 6-foot-6 or taller.

Small forward Jordan Dumars (South Florida) had 14, including four 3's, while sophomore center Amir Williams came off the bench for 11.

Power forward Donnavan Kirk (Miami, Fla.) fouled out, was called for three traveling violations and only scored a few baskets. Center DaShonte Riley (formerly committed to Georgetown) was also held relatively quiet from an offensive standpoint, despite a crowd-silencing dunk late in the game.

McCallum led the way for the visiting team with at least 17 points.

South improved to 19-0 with the, while DCC is now 18-1.