As March rolls to an end, the IU baseball team begins to pick up steam.

The Hoosiers are coming off an eight-game road trip in Florida that lasted the duration of spring break. During th trip, the Hoosiers lost their first four and won the last four. In three of the final four games, IU scored at least 10 runs.

Now that school has resumed, the Hoosiers return to Bloomington for a three-game series with IPFW, a team that has been struggling lately. More on the weekend series to come in the IDS and here this Friday.

Here are some of the notes from the last few days: - Sophomore outfielder Andrew Means was named the Big Ten Player of the Week after his accomplishments during spring break. Means batted .500 (13-26), scored eight runs and stole eight bases during the trip. He also recorded multi-hit games in each game he played, highlighted by a four-hit performance against North Florida in a 16-inning IU loss.

On the season, Means is hitting .349, has scored 14 runs and leads the team with 11 steals. Means is also a wide receiver for the IU football team, and will split time between baseball and spring football practice.

- The Hoosiers lost junior pitcher Chris McCombs for the year after he suffered an elbow injury, IU coach Tracy Smith said at practice Wednesday. In high school, McCombs had Tommy John surgery in order to correct his injury and will undergo the procedure again. McCombs (1-1) was fourth on the team with a 3.45 ERA and third in innings pitched (15.2).