IDS Connect

Marissa Meador and Jacob Spudich named fall IDS 2024 Co-Editors-in-chief

Jacob Marissa.jpeg

Juniors Marissa Meador and Jacob Spudich were named co-editors-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student for the fall 2024 semester on Friday, March 22, during a meeting of the IU Student Media Publications Board.  

Both having been with the IDS for over five semesters, Spudich and Meador are ready to serve as a complementary duo coming from two different areas of the newsroom.  

Meador is currently a faculty and administration reporter for the IDS newsroom with experience as a city reporter, news editor and managing editor.  

Spudich, on the other hand, garners his IDS experience as sports editor, visuals editor, a photographer for men’s soccer and basketball and a beat reporter for football and women’s water polo. 

“The IDS and all the students within the organization can greatly benefit from having two Editors-in-chief with similar values yet wide ranges of expertise,” Spudich said. 

“Ultimately, I’ve learned that a good EIC must always listen, learn and adapt, which means nothing in this application is final. The answers to the IDS’ most pressing challenges lie with the people who staff the organization. Serving both staffers and the community is critical to shepherding the IDS through these turbulent times,” Meador said.  

Both Meador and Spudich are involved with the Arnolt Center for Investigative Journalism and plan to pursue careers in investigative journalism in their future. 

As co-editors-in-chief, Meador and Spudich share a mutual respect for each other, as well as a strong commitment to journalism. Along with long-term goals such as increased diversity and inclusion initiatives in content and within the IDS staff, the co-editors-in-chief plan to continue delivering the truth that has guided the IDS in its reporting.